lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Requests (L)

Unread 01-22-2012, 12:30 PM
The Wary

Keymap functionality

Hey Devs!

I find that the Keymap window is really hard to use.

I would love to see someone develop a keymap interface that
*allows me to search for what function a particular keystroke is assigned to (in addition to the current function of searching for a certain function)
*can show me a list of un-used keystrokes so I know what's available to assign.
*if I try to overwrite a keystroke, it tells me specifically what the stroke is being robbed from (eg, I want to assign K to kinship, but when I do that, the warning specifically tells me "the K key is assigned to the Skills window", not just "already in use... override?")
*has a larger window (and maybe tabs for the different sections of data)

I don't know what is, and isn't, possible, but... I would hope for:
*an option to lock and unlock items that you don't want to change. (eg, I assign k to skills, I don't want to ever forget and accidentally override it, I can lock it.)
and my absolute dream:
*has an on-screen keyboard in one side of the window, and when I scroll over it, the mapped function (or the word "none/unassigned") appears in a the other side of the window. [or above or below the image... whatever]

I don't think I'm the only one who gets frustrating with the keymap, so maybe there's someone out there with the same frustration PLUS the skills to improve it.

Hoping someday!
Unread 01-22-2012, 01:43 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Unfortunately not possible from Lua. It IS however possible with a 3rd party external application as the keymapping is stored in a text document, lotro.keymap in your "The Lord of the Rings Online" folder (where you create the "Plugins" folder). This unfortunately has two minor issues, first it means modifying game files with a third party tool (technically a ToS violation although I doubt Turbine cares about a settings file but I personally wouldn't publish such an application without first obtaining Turbine's blessing). Secondly it means erroding users' wariness of executables and the potential for keyloggers, etc. The second issue can be fairly well overcome by publishing the source code as well as the application and writing it to run in a secure sandbox such as Java.

Last edited by Garan : 01-22-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Unread 01-22-2012, 06:39 PM
The Wary

Well, shoot.

It was worth an ask, anyway. Thanks for the answer, Garan - and I use several of your plug-ins - thanks for the hard work, too.