lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > General Authoring Discussion (L)

Unread 05-12-2007, 04:44 PM
The Indomitable
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Complete UI PSD + ediatble XML Templates?

Hi everyone. im new to the skinning process and been having a great time making some skins for the main letterbox tool bar. I DLed a template from one of the artists here that had no graphics attached only the black circles where the icons would go for bags,deeds,character and so on.

This template was a huge help so that i could create a new layer and make my skin with. What i wanted to know, since im really lost on how to even make a template to start with, Is if anyone has taken the time to make a complete UI templates in .psd form along with a editable .xml with tags for that particular portion of the UI? This would really help people like me who have a hard time learning without pictures. If anyone was to make these for some of the up and coming artists I would greatly appreciate it, and would always give credit to the makers of the templates.

Thanks in advance.
Unread 05-15-2007, 04:13 AM
Go for three

Send a message via AIM to Sabar Send a message via MSN to Sabar Send a message via Yahoo to Sabar
Heh, I actually thought of doing that as I found it a painful process to constantly have to refer to other UI's or guess-and-check to get things down.

I made a couple templates for my own use, but most I never bothered to save after I was done with them, since I could just use my own art as reference.

One of the few ones I still have are the large tabs for example.

You can see my tab on the foreground and the left, center, and right pieces as the red and yellow. I just drew the whole tab on the template and then cut it up.

I'd consider templating the whole thing as I know how much of a pain it is to figure it all out.
Unread 05-15-2007, 08:57 AM
GM, Scarlet Underground
Premium Member

If you did that, Sabar, you'd instantly have the number one mod on the site, ha!
Unread 05-15-2007, 05:34 PM
The Indomitable

Omg Sabar man that would be awesome man! That would help me out a bunch as i get lost even trying to figure out what goes where and what i can and cannot change on a interface.

Aalwein is right, doing this would not only give you the most Dled interface/template but you would be my hero, as well as the other people who have no idea where to start on some of this stuff!

The one thing that hurts me is not knowing which tag goes to what and not having a pic to see where that particular tga is to reference ingame. I suck at trying to learn buy reading and have to have some pictures to help me out, then I can finally get it and start making full UIs.

If you do decide to do this man, Ill add you as credit to every UI i do! Because if it wouldnt be for your "skinning UI for dummies" tutorials and templates I would still be stuck only being able to do the letterbox bottoms.

Anyway, thanks man if you do decide to do this, I already have a pretty good letterbox_bottom template made with a Base layer plus editable xml file to start making the design "out of the box" sorta speak. If ya need it to kick things off let me know and Ill send it to ya.

Good Luck and thanks again man, I know I appreciate this alot!

Last edited by AmbushMartyr : 05-15-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Unread 05-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Go for three

Send a message via AIM to Sabar Send a message via MSN to Sabar Send a message via Yahoo to Sabar
I've been working on-and-off on it. Only hard thing is making it easy to understand.
Unread 05-22-2007, 10:34 PM
The Indomitable

Awesome Sabar. I only wish i had some sort of skill to help out with the project. If anything i can do something in Photoshop like sizing or making a template with directions. Im not sure, If theres anything i can do to help out man feel free to PM me anytime Ill be willing to give it a try.

Once again thanks for all the hard work your putting into this project and I know once its done you will have alot of fans! Im one now! heh.

Good luck bro and PM me anytime if theres anything i can do ill give it my best shot.

PS. As far as the simple part, the thing i was thinking is have a template made, then have a editable xml file(.txt) and then have a pic of the part you are redesigning as to where its located in game. Thats the only thing i can think of as easy to understand but seems like a whole lot of work. Not sure what you have in mind but would be great to hear how you are approaching the projects design.

Last edited by AmbushMartyr : 05-22-2007 at 10:37 PM.