lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > LotRO Wish List (L)

Unread 10-31-2007, 07:27 AM
The Undying

Damagemeter issues

Hi!

(If someone could paste this mail to the US Forum where Turbine Devs read more actively this would be appreciated, thanks in advance! As a EU-gamer I cannot access the US-Forum, and I'd really like the Devs to get aware of my project and maybe getting open to some discussion of what is needed to further this project)

I am currently working on a Combat Log Analyzer, a shell-tool (independent of LOTRO, you run it in a shell after you quit the game) which examines the Combat Log Data to provide data like "who has done damage how much?", "who has healed how much?", "who died how often?" - sort of an "external Damagemeter".

Unfortunately the Data the Combat Log provides is not fully sufficient to extract the data for a complete damagemeter. I will list below what additional data I would need to complete my project. It would be nice if the Dev working on the Combat log could look into it. For further discussion (I would be also willing to send a Beta version of my Analyzer tool to him, including source-code, if he wants) about the issue I would also be available at [email protected].

Data needed:

- Currently the Log only reports Heals, various things (people revived, people dying,...) and damage you do to mobs or which mobs do to you. It does NOT report damage people in the same fellowship like you do to mobs, or mobs do to them (asides from "... has succumbed to his wounds", "... has defeated ...").

For a working Damagemeter this information is ABSOLUTELY required!!!

- For decent DPS calculations timestamps are needed. I have some good ideas how this could be done:

* A line "Combat started." and a line "Combat ended." could be inserted, whenever the fellowship/raid enters/leaves combat. This way my log parser could filter out time where the fellowship does not fight (AFK-times and such) for the DPS-Calculation.
* It would be easier, if like at the start of the log the start-time is reported, at the end of the log the end-time would also be reported (currently I am using the "time of last file modification" instead).
* Start of the Log timestamp should include year and seconds (seconds being most important for accurate DPS-numbers).
* It would be nice if for every skill-usage the time the skill execution needed
would be listed.
* I am a bit in doubt if the heals reported in the combat log are "complete".
I wonder if really all of them have been reported in the log? But might be they actually ARE.

Further things which would be nice to have:

* The name of the skill causing a damage/heal/etc. This way a percentage could be calculated how often someone used certain skills.
* Currently only the amount of damage "coming through" is reported. How much damage was absorbed by resistances would be nice to know.
* If an attack was blocked/parried/evaded or if it missed would be interesting to know.
* For curing status effects currently it is only reported THAT they have been cured, but not by whom.
* a clear notation around player/mob names to distinct them from parser
keywords would be nice. For example instead of
* EDIT: Clear display if damage/heal was done "normally" or by a potion,
or by a conjunction

You wound the Dourhand for 77 Damage.

Player(Sorane) wounds Mob(the Dourhand) for 77 Damage.

This way for one thing problems like when someone calls his character "wounds" (my parser checks for this word ;-) ) could be fixed, and also it would be easier to filter out Mobs from the damagemeter. And the player
who runs the log would not be reported by the name "You" as currently ;-)

* If threat information would be included a threatmeter could be written.
To make a threatmeter make any sense, of course it would have to be
"real time" which means inside the game. Actually I would be willing to
write the Parser-Code for it and send it to the Devs, so they could
integrate it into the Game UI if they would be willing to do this.
Same about the damagemeter code of course. Some things actually
could be done much easier with game integration (like finding out
who is a player and who a mob).

Thanks in advance.

Sorane
Unread 10-31-2007, 10:38 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Frosty read this forum from time to time, maybe you can also PM him.
Unread 10-31-2007, 11:28 PM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
LOTROInterface Admin

Hi Sorane,

That's precisely why this forum is here.

We know for sure that Frosty reads the site, and actively responds, but there's nothing to say that others aren't as well, we just aren't aware of them.

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Unread 11-01-2007, 07:47 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairenn
Hi Sorane,

That's precisely why this forum is here.

We know for sure that Frosty reads the site, and actively responds, but there's nothing to say that others aren't as well, we just aren't aware of them.

Thanks a lot!

Sorane
Unread 11-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Tools and UI Engineer

The text that comes out of the game is "owned" by the combat team and not the UI, if that makes any sense. The chat windows are essentially listening to notices that say "display this text". The text is colored and added to the chat list, we (being the UI) don't do special processing of the text.

The short answer is that it would be up to the combat team to do some of the things that you're looking for: begin/end combat, timestamping, reformatting of the combat messages, etc. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's generally not a function of the UI.

I can think of two things to follow up on: posting on the official boards or filing a bug/feature request in the game.

-P
Unread 11-02-2007, 01:41 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty
The text that comes out of the game is "owned" by the combat team and not the UI, if that makes any sense. The chat windows are essentially listening to notices that say "display this text". The text is colored and added to the chat list, we (being the UI) don't do special processing of the text.

The short answer is that it would be up to the combat team to do some of the things that you're looking for: begin/end combat, timestamping, reformatting of the combat messages, etc. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's generally not a function of the UI.

I can think of two things to follow up on: posting on the official boards or filing a bug/feature request in the game.

-P
My big problem in "posting on the official boards" is that as of now only people from the US can post there. There is a EU version of the board, but it seems not to be frequented by devs. But if someone could write a message on the US Board for me, or if you could forward my email address ([email protected]) to a developer from the combat team this would be highly appreciated. Clearly these people would be the ones which would
implement such changes. As it seemed this board here was my only possibility
to reach a Dev, which is why I used this opportunity here, even if it was nobody of the Combat Team.

I would like to add, though, that an idea for the future might be to integrate such a Damagemeter into the Game UI (a little window which can be activated on a hotkey, and if the hotkey is pressed again it gets "hidden" again). As mentioned before I would be willing to give the source-code of my
damagemeter-tool-in-works to Turbine once the source-code has reached a more finished state.

I will add some of my UI ideas to this board here, though, maybe there is something among it which would be interesting for you.

Thanks for your fast answer.

Sorane

Last edited by Sorane : 11-02-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Unread 11-02-2007, 08:27 AM
The Undying

Update: I implemented the following new features:

- List players sorted by incoming damage/heal
- List skills used to cause damage sorted for one player/one mob
- List incoming damage sorted by Skillname (and percentages)

What would still be nice, if for heals the name of the heal-skill would be listed like for damage-skills. So that it could be better seen what skills were used for healing at which percentage. Currently such a splitup is only possible for damage.

Sorane
Unread 11-03-2007, 09:27 AM
The Undying

Update:

http://files-upload.com/files/596321/lotrometer.exe

Some serious bugfixes (though reflects are currently broken):

- 1225 points were listed as "1,225" which earlier versions reported
as "1" point of damage/heal !!! This has been fixed!!!
- Min/Max/Avg for DMGDETAILS/INDMGDETAILS now works
- Deaths currently broken, not all deaths reported

Sorane
Unread 11-03-2007, 08:40 PM
The Undying

Hi!

Appearently there IS some functionality existing to report the damage of other players. There is a function in-game called

/damagetext.

And from the parameters I assume it is for this, like:

/damagetext others true

The problem: The function is bugged right now. It only gives a invalid stringtable error, if calling it.

Sorane
Unread 11-07-2007, 02:37 AM
The Undying

Hi!

Some more log issues:

I checked loremaster logs for the first time yesterday, Sadly it is not really
recognizable who is who's pet.

Instead of

Razor wounds ...

something like

Razor (Lynx Pet of Syrdon) wounds ...

would be much nicer!