lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > LotRO Wish List (L)

Unread 01-04-2011, 02:09 PM
The Wary

New to Lula but have some good ideas.

I have an idea for an in-game recipe checklist and an in-game quest guide that I would like to develop but I am not a programmer (although in the IT field) and know nothing about LUA scripting. I am not completely new to programming, although I will admit that I am a novice at best. I would like a little guidance and where to start, what applications to down load, and where I can find source code that will save me time.

My first idea is an in-game recipe checklist. I am currently using an Excel spreadsheet that is completely up to date and I didn't get it from Missy although Missy's is a good one. The one I created is an actual checklist that blacks out the rows using macros instead of just a checkbox. I feel it is a great addition to Missy's checklist and would like to know how I can export this and have the ability to pull it up in game so I didn't have to minimize anymore. What program(s) do I use? How do I export an Excel spreadsheet with enabled macros to this program?

My second idea would be to create an in-game guide. I have had friends stopped playing LOTRO because they say they have ran out of things to do and they were only lvl 35. They do not know where to go to quest and do not want to grind.

I see this today even, with F2P a lot of people are playing who have never read the books and are not familiar with Tolkien's world. They are constantly hitting me up to point them in the right direction. So how about an in-game guide like Zygor's or Dugi's? A step by step guide on exactly where to go and what to do without missing out on the important stuff and getting most of the rep grind out of the way. It would be similar to the quest tracker we have now, but it would tell you who to talk to, what quests to get, what mobs to kill you know step by step. I currently use RPGTutor's guide and if that were in-game then it would save me a lot of time form minimizing the screen and finding out what needs to be done next.

I know I know, it doesn't sound fun, but I have OCD, I like structure...lol even if it is in a game. Why do you think I made a recipe checklist...lol

I would like to either help out on these projects or create them myself because I love a good challenge, but as I said before I am not a programmer and am not familiar with LUA scripting at all. So if I could just get a little help on what to download, how to import an Excel worksheet, is it legal to pull source code from the LOTRO game (like if I could get the quest tracker source code I would think that most of the work would be complete, but that is probably not legal) Anyway, any help is much appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Unread 01-04-2011, 06:26 PM
The Indomitable

I started to mess around with LUA myself, made some progress. Got windows, buttons, labels, ect ect all working. But ran into some road blocks and TBH there really isn't anyone willing/able to help out relatively new comers beyond very very simple questions/answers. While they were appreciated, its tough to get into it with out prior knowledge.

So thankfully a friend of mine is very good at LUA and is writing what I need. Which is a Quest Guide.

I'm writing the quest guide itself where as he is writing the plugin.

Its going to cover all races and include several things to help facilitate free to play players. Specifically what deeds to complete and when to help them level in a way that they would have enough points to purchase the next quest pack.

I'm currently writing Race of Man and I'm making pretty good progress.
I'm probably going to open up the project to kinmates/friends because writing the quest guides and testing them, is a massive undertaking for one person, to say the least.
I've seen early versions of the quest guide launcher plug in and it looks, amazing.

I'll also be posting a thread on the live forums, asking for suggestions on what features people would like to see in a quest guide. I have my own ideas that I hope to get implemented, but of course want to make it the best it can be.

Alot is going to be on the author of the plug in though, the time he has the limitations of the API ect will have a huge effect on the outcome of the project.

Last edited by Gramps : 01-04-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Unread 01-04-2011, 07:00 PM
The Wary

That sounds awesome! I cannot wait to try it out. I am the exact opposite, I have the quest guide ready, I just need the program to add it in game. Also, you may want to check out RGPTutors guide as a reference. That is what I did. Although you cannot copy it word for word it is a good guide that does not miss out on much and there are only so many quests so really I believe you would be safe from copyright because you are bound to basically have the same quest list. I mean, how could you not really...lol Good luck my friend, I cannot wait to see it.

Here are some things that I was going to add to mine (you may have already thought of these things, however they are just friendly reminders/advice)

First of all, please add a compass on screen with yardage available. Also, be sure and add the ability to skip through the in-game quest guide for those who already have leveled characters. Be sure and make it as transparents as possible or give the option to size the window to the person's liking. Be sure and add as many rep quests as possible so that later in the game the "grind" for rep is minimal. Ofcourse take us through the epic content and it would be cool to add in the raid stuff (I think the reason that it is so hard to find groups for raid material beyond GB is because some folks may not know that they exist)

Btw, are you going to make the source code available? I would like to have the ability to tailor a guide to my personal liking and since I already have the guide wrote I would like to try and "plug it in" and see if it works. Also ask your friend about the recipe checklist. I already have the list made and have wrote the macros that enable it to be a true checklist instead of only having checkboxes. I can post pics if you want to see and do not mind sending you a copy to see what your friend thinks about how to implement it. There are a lot of folks screaming for an in-game recipe checklist. Keep us posted!!