lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Requests (L)

Unread 06-03-2007, 09:38 PM
The Wary

Lightbulb Multi Res Request Pls

Hello All,

To save me retyping (and to bring you up to speed) please view the following small thread:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=63854

In summary, i'm requesting that a talented UI artist from this community please make a set of UI's (with the default UI element skins please, no custom artwork) named:
  • 1920x1200
  • 1680x1050
  • 1600x1200
  • 1400x1050
  • 1360x1024
  • 1280x768
  • etc etc..

that have the skill bar appropriately sized for each (ie: increased size).
No doubt there will be folk who run at 1024x768 who would like the elements *reduced* in size as well.

Anyone up for the task of setting up these basic UI mods, once Roheryn goes live?

Many thanks in advance.
~A~
Unread 06-04-2007, 02:20 AM
The Wary

1920x1080 pls for those of us who play on 1080p TVs
Unread 06-06-2007, 05:56 PM
The Wary

For those that require the technical details, please refer to Frosty's latest technical post on resizing the UI here: (as in, Frosty from Turbine)

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=65966
Unread 06-14-2007, 01:37 PM
The Wary

*bump (anyone?)
Unread 06-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

If you look at the current list of what we have to work with youll see that setting up a UI for each resolution is going to be painful, and all we got was placement, movement and sizing of parts of the toolbar.

I wouldnt count on seeing series of res sets anytime soon. I have 3 under development but Im not budging on them for release anytime soon.
Unread 06-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member
LOTROInterface Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientWolf
If you look at the current list of what we have to work with youll see that setting up a UI for each resolution is going to be painful, and all we got was placement, movement and sizing of parts of the toolbar.

I wouldnt count on seeing series of res sets anytime soon. I have 3 under development but Im not budging on them for release anytime soon.
I happen to agree. I am not sure what I am going to do about my UIs either. I am still hoping for some sort of true UI scaling on the user end. The thought of maintaining the same UI over multiple scales is overwhelming. So far Turbine has a done a good job of trying to incorporate user wishes, here's to hoping they can conquer this request too.

Kuv
Unread 06-14-2007, 06:50 PM
GM, Scarlet Underground
Premium Member

I concur. What we need is an in-game slider that can globally scale the ui up or down in size, similar to what WoW had.

Rescaling each and every window via the .xml file is not such a big task. However, having to change graphics for EVERY scale you create that skin for and then maintaining those images every time the window needs an update (either due to the author changing his/her design or internal changes functionally by Turbine) is a daunting task indeed. It's basically like trying to maintain a different UI skin for every scale/resolution you create.
Unread 06-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalwein
I concur. What we need is an in-game slider that can globally scale the ui up or down in size, similar to what WoW had.

Rescaling each and every window via the .xml file is not such a big task. However, having to change graphics for EVERY scale you create that skin for and then maintaining those images every time the window needs an update (either due to the author changing his/her design or internal changes functionally by Turbine) is a daunting task indeed. It's basically like trying to maintain a different UI skin for every scale/resolution you create.
I think they said at one point that that isnt possible with the current engine?
(real time scaling)
Unread 06-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Tools and UI Engineer

technically rescaling the UI with the engine is possible, i'm not sure how much of a performance hit it's going to be.

this is an issue that engineering resources are being applied to, but it's to early to spill the beans on progress.

-P
Unread 06-15-2007, 02:01 AM
The Wary

Thanks all, for the information and comments.
Indeed, I can imagine that it's a fairly large workload to develop and maintain multiple res UI's, under the current (and updated) working model.

Frosty - thanks for the heads up.
Given your information (which by the way is very pleasing!) it kinda creates a catch-22 for UI modders. In that if some development is being applied at your end towards realtime scaling, the artists here probably won't begin the large investment in their time creating multiple res versions. But at the opposite end of the argument are the users, who won't benefit from having appropriately scaled hotbars etc.

Therefore, is it possible to implement the realtime UI scaling code on Roheryn? Perhaps at least then your development could be aided by the efforts of a community such as this?

Just my $0.05..