lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Help (L)

Unread 07-06-2020, 02:51 PM
The Wary

Question Lotro client hangs - plugin bug?

Over the past few days, I've encountered the 64-bit Lotro client hanging on me at random times. I have four plugins setup for use by various characters. When the hang occurs, it appears the lotro client is cpu bound.

Not having done any interface development, how difficult or easy is it for a plugin to hang the Lotro client due to a bug in the plugin? Is there any logging I can enable to show plugin interactions with the client or is this something that can only be provided by a plugin?
Unread 07-06-2020, 04:55 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

It's pretty easy for a plugin to hang the client, if the author is malicious.

It is also quite easy for a plugin to cause a brief "freeze" by simply using the Lua API as intended, which is unavoidable. (LocalPlayer.GetAttributes can take several seconds on high-level characters.)

Which four plugins are you using?

Quote:
Is there any logging I can enable to show plugin interactions with the client or is this something that can only be provided by a plugin?
The latter, unfortunately.
Unread 07-06-2020, 05:00 PM
The Wary

I'm using Class Trait Points, Sequence Bars, DebuffBar, Combat Analysis. Oh there was a fifth: RTPlugin
Unread 07-06-2020, 05:26 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Well of those, the most likely culprit would be SequenceBars, I think. It's the most complicated, so it's the most likely to have such a bug. Try playing without it, and if the problem goes away let me know. I can try to isolate the problem, based on the particular features you're using.
Unread 07-06-2020, 06:34 PM
The Wary

Yea, Sequence Bars was at the top of my list simply because it's the only I've been playing around with the most the past few weeks.

I'll play a bit more w/o plugins and then I'll just re-enable SB and see how it goes.

Too bad about the logging, would have been helpful to have info about when a plugin is being invoked and when control has been returned to the client.
Unread 07-11-2020, 12:28 PM
The Undefeated

You can write to the Script.log file in the Screenshots folder thusly:

Code:
Turbine.Engine.ScriptLog("My debug message here.")
Be aware that the Script.log file is overwritten when the LotroClient starts, and writes to it are delayed by a minute or so. You will need to

Code:
import "Turbine"
if that is not already in your Lua code.
Unread 08-17-2020, 04:08 PM
The Wary

32-bit client is bad under Wine

So I think i've discovered the reason for the hangs... I was actually using the 32-bit client in Wine. I recall playing around with the download speed setting as I was getting poor download rates and in the process I must have unset the 64-bit option. Unfortunately, the setup screen in the Launcher under Wine does NOT show the current settings for radio buttons or check boxes so you are left to guess what they are currently set at. Of course, you can click the choices you want but you not get any feedback to your selections.

Anyways, since changing it back to 64-bit client, the hangs have gone back to being rare. So false alarm on the plugins being the culprit it seems.

Last edited by Red Wolf : 08-17-2020 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added image