lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > Lua Programming Help (L)

Unread 09-10-2010, 09:10 PM
The Undefeated
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Lua General Forum

Hi all,

Am keen to sink my teeth into some Lua stuff, but this is the only forum I've found. Can / will we have a general discussion forum where we can post ideas/discussions/etc (before they make it to the wiki! :P)

Anyway - look forward to building relationships with you guys and gals in the Lua community.

Edit: Have been an anonymous lurker for some time now - just decided to jump in!
Unread 09-11-2010, 06:51 AM
The Wary

I would like some more on Lua also. Even if it's just a few forums (like help, requests, unfinished scripts)
Unread 09-11-2010, 12:05 PM
The Undying

I just started Learning Lua as well (just for making plugins) and it is fairly easy, i found this - http://www.lua.org/pil/index.html - that you can use to get a decent foundation on the language. If you already know how to program it is a super easy language to learn, if not i am sure it will still be fairly easy for anyone. but yea, that is a great place to start then you can learn more from reading other peoples code, and reading the api from Turbine. - http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...Lua-UI-scripts
Unread 09-12-2010, 02:34 AM
The Undying

It's also quite neat to look at other peoples code and steal what you can - there was a good thread on the beta forums where hints were posted. I would have backed it up had their been a warning of its demise *shakes an angry dwarven fist at Turbine*

The thing I have found most useful is a pdf file from the Lua site it can be found on the page http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaShortReference and contains the syntax for all major commands - some of which aren't relevant.

I'll give an example; I spent a full day writing code to sort a list. Then, looked at the reference and found table.sort. Oh! How I cried!

EDIT: Off topic, but why don't threads from this forum appear on the front page?

Last edited by MrJackdaw : 09-12-2010 at 02:38 AM.