lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Help (L)

Unread 03-01-2009, 10:23 AM
The Wary

How to make a Hybrid

I'm new to LotRO, recently switching over from WoW, and am really impressed with the way the interface is designed to not need addons. I love to personalize my UI to make it just the way I want to. That being said, there are some very nice UIs here on the site that I love, but there are certain things about a few of them that I would like to change or replace with aspects from others.

Is there a way to change or mix and match elements from different downloads here and make a hybrid UI? Say take one and replace just the bottom toolbar and minimap with the toolbar and minimap from another? If so, how is this done? I'm not very programmer savvy, but looking at the files, I can tell that some files, like "minmap" would have to be replaced with the desired one...but I also think that the "SkinDefinition" file would have to be altered to reflect the changes. I'm a bit reluctant to go a fiddling with code because I don't really know what I'm doing, or even if I'm thinking about going about it the right way or not.

Any help would be great. Thanks
Unread 03-01-2009, 12:14 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

What you ask can be done. You can switch graphics elements from different skins to mash them up together. You will only need to rename or change anything in the SkinDefinition file when it's actually different. For instance if it has been resized or moved position from the default position, then you need to change that into your own skin too. It looks daunting in the beginning, but it's really simple. You just need to figure out what's what. Because I had to do so as well, in the beginning, I followed an approach I found in another skin: make subdirectories, thus categorising the elements.

Good luck!
Unread 03-13-2009, 03:55 PM
The Undefeated

As a followup question from another new player, I see many interfaces have not changed in many months. Are these still ok to use?

And if they are, where would I find specific information about certain UI elements? I found an interface from April 2008 that I really like but it doesn't handle pips for champions or hunters (my first two classes) at all. Is there a guide that would tell me how to add that somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Unread 03-13-2009, 09:49 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

OLD Uis will work just fine, but the older ones do not reskin newer assets, is all. There won't be any game stopping problems.

If you want a part reskinned that isn't reskinned in that particular UI you can dwonload a UI that does have it reskinned and combine it, or you can try to do it yourself with the UI art pack.