lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Help (L)

Unread 02-13-2007, 12:52 PM
The Wary

Downloading Interface

Well I hate to break the water on this one, but...
I've played WoW for many many (and to my wife's disappointment) many many months. Player created interfaces on WoW are great. I love spending those hours every few weeks making sure I have the latest and best UIs and look foward to doing the same with LOTRO. But heres my problem. WoW downloads are simple to do. Going into the progam and putting them in a interface folder. But after checking my Tribune folder I can see its not going to be as easy in LOTRO. Now I'm no computer wiz by far, but I know my way around a pc. So heres my possing question.
How do you install the downloaded UI?

God, I feel so stupid asking....

Thanks for any help.
Soliquin
AKA Mundar, Potho
Unread 02-13-2007, 12:54 PM
The Undying

Send a message via AIM to Bigleon Send a message via MSN to Bigleon Send a message via Yahoo to Bigleon Send a message via Skype™ to Bigleon
Well with some research, I could make a special thing authors can you use that with a .exe would install the UI into the game folder. i just need to know where certin files go, and with that can make a simiple install thing.
Unread 02-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
LOTROInterface Admin
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Don't feel stupid at all. Turbine does it in a different manner than most others.

From this thread (which is a copy of a thread on Turbine's Beta UI forums):

Quote:
The Directory Structure
-----------------------
All of the UI skins created by users must lie in an expected location. We have defined this location as the "<documents>\ui\skins" directory. Each user defined skins should be placed in a separate subdirectory under our pre-defined location, so you may have something like:

"<documents>\ui\skins\ChatRevamp"
"<documents>\ui\skins\RedToolbar"
"<documents>\ui\skins\TestSkin "

etc.
Inside each user defined skin directory a skin definition file is expected. This XML file is named "SkinDefinition.xml" for every skin (discussed below.)
The remaining files in this directory are the media files. The media files are generally TGAs (RGB + alpha).

Note: the "<documents>" directory is where you can find the UserPreferences.ini file. It is usually something like

"C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online"
So for example, for me it would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\cairenn\My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\ui\skins\<new mod folder>\<new mod files>

Please note that the "\ui\skins" don't already exist, so you'll need to create those. Then drop the new folder in there.

Also - if you're like me, you were going crazy trying to figure out where your screenshots were saved ... same folder ""C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online""

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Unread 02-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Wrath of Evil
Premium Member

Alternatively, you can right-click on the Ring icon in your system tray (near the clock), and choose "Explore Screenshots Folder", and it'll open it right up for you.
Note that you may not have your LOTRO Launcher options set to show the icon in the system tray.

From the launcher, choose the left-most "down arrow" in the upper right corner. There you can find the launcher options and another link to the Screenshots Folder.
Unread 02-13-2007, 02:05 PM
The Wary

I think I got it

Okay so in other words the diffrence is that WoW mods go in the acctual WoW folder under programs and LOTRO mods will go in the Th Lord of the Rings Online file under the My Documents file. Great seems easy enough. Now I poss a second and third question.

Does it work like WoW as far as when you log in is there a mod button some where during the log process or is just automaticly put onto the charactor?

And does it work for each Charactor?

Soliquin
AKA Mundar, Portho
Unread 02-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
LOTROInterface Admin
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

*Points you back to the same link as above*

Quote:
Activating Your Skin
--------------------
To activate your skin, launch the game.
Open the Options panel, Ctrl-O.
Click the "User Skins" button.
In the "Current User Skin" droplist, select your skin.
The UI changes!
If your skin is not in the list, it failed to parse. Make sure your tags are all specified and closed!
Currently, the game must be relaunched whenever a new skin is added or a change is made to an existing skin.

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group