lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Script & Skin Managers

Unread 10-09-2010, 05:59 PM
The Indomitable

Send a message via Skype™ to Kaisoul
Playing in windowed mode that looks like fullscreen

Ok If the people that run this site do NOT want this thread please by all means kill it.

With the help of the program AMW 6.2 "actual windows manager"
i am able to play lotro in windowed mode with out [title bar/resize/borders]
Now for the problem the games usersettings file uses a custom resolution number. With out the correct number the mouse will have targeting issues.
The AMW program can tell you the resolution of the edited window mine is 1680x1010. The problem is 1680x1010 needs to be converted into a custom resolution number. Here is a sample if the display section of the lotro settings file. If any one understands enough to crack this blasted formula please let me know.

[Display]
SyncToRefresh=False
AllowWindowResizing=False <--removes most of the borders
WindowedResolution=109708246 <--needed to fix mouse issue
ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=True
AllowFakeFullScreen=True
ForceFakeFullScreen=True
FullScreen=False
RefreshRate=Auto
TripleBuffering=False
AllowDesktopCompositing=True <--allows aero to display with lotro
Antialiasing=Disabled
Resolution=1680x1050
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:43 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Send a message via MSN to Digital_Utopia Send a message via Yahoo to Digital_Utopia
Never mind - apparently I couldn't read.

Lord of the Rings Online
75 Fourohfour | 75 Artemedis | 60 Whiskeytango Foxtrot | 50 Mistah Boombastic | 56 Appetizer | 25 Aggromi
61 Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts

World of Warcraft
90 Downlo 85 Gravetaxi 85 Ümad 85 Artemedis 85 Guthuros

Last edited by Digital_Utopia : 10-10-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Unread 10-10-2010, 02:16 PM
The Undying

Do you know what the actual windowed resolution is? Based on the number, I'd assume it's a 32-bit hexadecimal number with the high 16 bits being the width, and the low 16 bits being the height, which gives a resolution of 68A x 3D6 (1674 x 982). It that is the case, the number for 1680 x 1010 is 110101490.
Unread 10-10-2010, 03:32 PM
The Wary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia
Or you could y'know, just go into the UserPreferences.ini file in your Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online folder, and change the following two options to "true"

AllowFakeFullScreen=True
ForceFakeFullScreen=True
I always see people suggesting that, and I don't understand why... That's never worked for me. I've tried it, (in fact, my config file still has those settings) and it still shows the window widgets, which is NOT an acceptable "full screen window mode" IMO.

I've since given up, and just launch LOTRO through steam, so I have access to the steam shift+tab overlay that includes a browser.
Unread 10-11-2010, 08:07 PM
The Indomitable

Send a message via Skype™ to Kaisoul
well looks like it wont take the numbers no mater what so im gunna be stuck with my title bar hehe well my interface was almost perfect
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:43 PM
The Undefeated

(I hope it's ok to post in this old thread. There aren't a lot of topics in this sub-forum and I found this particular topic through search engine so I figure it would be more helpful to post my tip here.)

How to play almost fullscreen (at the very least, without those ugly desktop window borders)

Okay, this will sound a lot more complicated when explaining, but it's fairly simple once you get it setup.

First a few facts:

1) YES you can use ShiftWindow with the DirectX 10 option to resize the window, or some other program. However, those programs simply scale your window contents. At higher res you may not notice the column/lines doubling, but that is what it does. DirectX (I assume) simply stretches your windowed viewport to the desktop resolution. This is bad obviously because it does not truly resize the viewport, but the main reason, and the key here, is the game still believes you run in the windowed resolution (ie. less than full screen). This causes the mouse targetting issues that Kaisoul mentionned.

2) To answer Kaisoul (the OP), the WindowedResolution setting of your UserPreferences.ini file does contain the Width and Height, encoded as (width << 16) + height. This has no practical use in my tests, as whatever you put in there will be "clamped" when the game loads anyway. If you put in a larger than desktop window size, it won't work. So it ends up being no different than simply editing it to eg. "1680x1200".

A solution:

1) Hide the taskbar before launching game so that the viewport (inside of the window) area is as large as possible.
2) Use AutoHotkey script to remove the window borders.
3) Optional: Move the window slightly upwards, so that you can have the taskbar on during game, and have most of the remaining desktop area filled by the game.

Setup:

- Install Autohotkey http://www.autohotkey.com/
- Edit the default AutoHotkey script (should be in notepad the first time you run it) with:

; Set your resolution
w = 2548
h = 1409

; Window to fullscreen
LWIN & LButton::
SetTitleMatchMode, 2

WinGet Style, Style, A
if(Style & 0xC40000) {
WinGetPos, X, Y, Width, Height, A
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, A
;WinMove,A,,0,0,w,h
WinMove,A,,6,0,w,h
} else {
WinSet, Style, +0xC40000, A
WinMove,A,,%X%,%Y%,%Width%,%Height%
}
return

Once you are comfortable with this, you can move the script to a backup location if you like, and simply create a shortcut to the .ahk file on your desktop to run it.

- Taskbar Eliminator http://www.aviassin.com/taskbareliminator

- Go to your Desktop "Window Appearance" settings where you can edit the titlebar and such, and reduce the "Border Padding" to 2 instead of 4. This makes the gap around the game window very small.

- Edit the w and h values at the beginning of the script to enter your desktop resolution minus window borders and titlebar.

Now this is the trick. You can NOT scale the window to full screen. If you do this, you will have mouse targetting issues, because the game will NOT change its "internal'" resolution. All you can do is hide the borders, and use a dark desktop image (or none), so that it appears almost as fullscreen.

To find out the exact "inside" window resolution, start autohotkey so that it sits in the taskbar. Launch the game without the taskbar, and use the Window Spy option from Autohotkey.

The values change depending on resolution AND your window appearance settings (theme).

All setup?

Ok now it's not so complicated.

Whenever you want to play...

1) Run Taskbar Eliminator to instantly hide the taskbar (unhide with Alt-T, this is not mandatory, but it's a lot faster than switching the Auto hide option of the taskbar settings...).

2) Run Autohotkey. It should have the icon in the tray area.

3) Launch LOTRO.

3) When the main game window is open (the borders should fill the entire desktop area)
press Left Window key + Left mouse click. This removes the window borders, and moves the window up, so that the top of the viewport matches the top of the desktop.

4) Since there was space left by the titlebar and bottom border that you can NOT use (re-read above, you can NOT increase the window size), you may want to toggle the Taskbar back in.

Now you're playing almost fullscreen, minus the taskbar.

There is a small 4-6 pixels gap on the sides, which should barely be noticeable, assuming your desktop background is very dark (or you can adapt the desktop image).

The vertical space from the titlebar and bottom border that would be left unused is taken by the taskbar, so you can keep an eye on the clock, chat etc.

Stickies ( http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/ ) can make a great notepad while playing in this mode. You can even keep it "on top" and with transparency if you like..

I don't like the taskbar

If you really don't want the taskbar at all, you don't have to use it. You can adjust the x,y coordinate in the script (see WinMove line), to center the "borderless" window. However there will be a larger gap on top and bottom.

If the extra gap doesn't bother you, you can play like that, and keep the taskbar on Auto-Hide.

Last edited by ecirbaf : 11-10-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Unread 11-10-2011, 02:47 PM
The Undying

As an alternative you can always dump windows os and play game in linux using wine in window mode just fine. Never had a problem with it myself.
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:31 PM
The Undefeated

Blizzard games like Starcraft 2 have this "desktop fullscreen" mode where you can instantly alt-tab to other applications, and play the game without any distracting window "chrome".

LOTRO's windowed mode comes with the ugly window chrome, plus the titlebar which uses up space at the top of the screen.

If you don't want the window frame around your game, you have to play fullscreen. But then every time you alt-tab to your email or to answer a Skype message etc. it takes half a second, and on some computers even more because Windows has a tendency to put the desktop on the virtual memory when it is not used.

The tip I posted above lets you run the game without the window "chrome", and maintain instant access to chat programs, browser etc.