lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > General Authoring Discussion (L)

Unread 10-09-2010, 04:10 AM
The Wary

Is this feasible?

I have been thinking about using lua SQL as a backend to build a 'moors location database that would work with a parser that listens to chat for location coordinates, and then looks up the 'friendly location' name in the database. I was going to map out the corners of large areas of the map and associate names with each area, and then simply evaluate whether the coordinates are 'greater than or lesser than' each coordinate area.

I spent a ton of time tonight digging through documentation, etc - but before I go too far down this path, I thought it might be a good idea to ask folks if this sort of app is even possible given the API.

thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!
Unread 10-09-2010, 04:30 AM
The Undefeated

No. You can't use database (and you never will be able to use it). Also you can't currently listen to chat, but that is going to change hopefully. Whole database would have to be in lua files - which is possible, and also you could load it with "import" on-demand depending on location so it would be even viable.

You could probably use plugin config and external app, but I don't like that approach. Also it will break sooner or later, because using external applications with lua is not good.
Unread 10-09-2010, 10:08 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

it would be difficult, but maybe if your parser was external to the game, and the database dropped its files into the correct plugindata folder and in a format that lua can use, then open it from an in game call to the same file name periodicly then it MIGHT work, but I dont know if you could configure sql or any other database to drop things into a file the way lua will need them. and on top of that it is something that not everyone is going to want to try and setup, unless you want it just for your own information.
Unread 10-09-2010, 11:12 AM
The Undefeated

Might take a look at the DPS meter code for some ideas.