lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > General Authoring Discussion (L)

Unread 07-14-2010, 02:40 PM
The Wary

Lua support coming to LOTRO

Turbine broke their own NDA and announced Lua support in the upcoming F2P reboot.

http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/...ng-to-turbine/

Hopefully, lotrointerface will thrive eventually as much as wowinterface currently does.
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Lord Dolby of Veeshan
Premium Member
LOTROInterface Admin
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

We are currently working on upgrades to our site because of it including an SVN.
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM
The Undying

Finally!
Unread 07-16-2010, 09:41 AM
The Undying

dont get too excited....you wont have the freedom with LUA on lotro like you do on a game like WoW.

according to Frelorn who recently posted about it on the lotro forums:

Quote:
“We wanted to clarify a few things about the potential implementation of LUA scripting. As it stands right now, the LUA scripting ability is completely controlled by us and its use is limited.

The Framework API, which controls what can and cannot be done, is separated into two main functional areas. The Framework API provides the basic structure of the scripts (classes), UI creation (windows, buttons, images, etc.), and a controlled setting to receive input, events, and actions generated by the game. The Gameplay API provides access to internal gameplay systems. The first pass of the gameplay API includes access to your own character’s vitals, the ability to interface with quickslots, and the methods for interacting with items in your inventory.

So what does this all mean? Right now, given the limitations we have in place, the “plugins” players can create are restricted to the above Gameplay API areas. They can change some of your UI elements, add built in HUDS and allow for things like a travel panel or a single window inventory bag. Our intent is to not allow players to make “plugins” that will give them any kind of advantage over other players. The main idea here is that LUA allows the players the ability to customize their user interface the way they want to.

We are going to handle things very carefully as we move forward; to be very clear, LUA Scripting is still in the early stages of testing and we don’t yet have a date for when the system will go live.”
Unread 07-16-2010, 09:41 AM
The Undying

Thumbs up

Looking forward to new mods here. Some of the standard ones used in WoW would be wonderful.
Unread 07-16-2010, 10:42 AM
The Undying

Must say (as I've been away from my internets for some time now and just saw this) I am quite suprised they announced this. I got a good feeling about this!
Unread 07-16-2010, 10:44 AM
The Undying

Am I the only one here who finds that this makes them nervous?
Unread 07-16-2010, 01:28 PM
The Undying

Personally I was nervous about Lotro getting the same addons as WOW.

This game has a wonderful community, who care more about players than numbers and help people about class and learning how it works.

With the kind of addons allowed on WOW some people will be push away from fellowing and the game will lost his spirit.

----
and yes I played WOW (6 lv 80) and used a lot of addons : so I know the dependency it create on players
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:37 PM
The Undying

I agree with Eili that's why I'm very happy seeing the following line
Quote:
Our intent is to not allow players to make “plugins” that will give them any kind of advantage over other players. The main idea here is that LUA allows the players the ability to customize their user interface the way they want to.
Remembering the WoW addon hell I wouldn't want to go back there (tho it had it moments). They'll probably allow us to do some sort of buff/debuff tracker as it has been asked over and over in the forum threads .. I just hope they wont let us do a threat tracker..
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:22 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimon
Must say (as I've been away from my internets for some time now and just saw this) I am quite suprised they announced this. I got a good feeling about this!
I would say most of us are looking forward being able to tweak the UI making it more convenient like working on the buffs/debuffs, aligning the groups vitals horizontally, scaling the fonts and the mouse cursor.

However I'm with Turbine not willing DPSmeter, GearScore, and so as it would literally change the way players interact with each others.

For now I'm looking at features like: (Wow as reference)
- Bartender
- Chatter
- Move Anything
- ArkInventory
- Auctioneer
- FlightMap
- MouseLook
- Xperl/Pitbull
- IceHud
- FriendShare

Lately I have been pointed at the following UI: pic / source

And I find it really nice, just replace the vitals with IceHud and you have a really clean UI