lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Requests (L)

Unread 11-12-2019, 08:58 PM
The Wary

Tooltips for other characters' recipes?

I recently grabbed Recipe Tracker. It's helpful, but I'm wondering if it would possible to make it so that the tracked recipes could show the normal tooltip for an item tracked on a different character.

E.g. I'm on my level 80 champ, who's a weaponsmith. RT can show my the armor my metalsmith can make, but since the MS is a different character, the tooltips don't show. I still have to go hit the wiki to see how the stats compare to what I have equipped.

Is this even possible, or is data that level of detail just not there to be queried by a character that doesn't know the recipe?
Unread 11-12-2019, 09:20 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Short answer: providing the tooltip would require a system so maintenance intensive that no one would likely use it.

Longer, more complicated answer: In order to provide a tooltip, we need an item ID for the item in question. Unfortunately, the only way to get an item ID from an in-game item is to have a user drag and drop the item in question - we can retrieve an item ID from the drag/drop operation. Unfortunately, we can not simply programmatically retrieve all of the item IDs for equipped/inventory items (something we have asked Turbine and now SSG to implement but it doesn't seem likely to happen), instead the user would have to drag and drop every piece of equipment to a Lua control so that we can grab the item ID and store it. Now, theoretically this is possible but that would mean remembering to drag items to a lua control every single time you switch out equipment, that would include rings, bracelets, shields, weapons, etc. It would be a maintenance nightmare. Once the IDs are captured, redisplaying them is trivial, it's just the capturing and keeping up to date that would drive users nuts. I actually toyed with the idea of implementing this for the Equipped Items panel of AltViewer several years ago but after seeing how often I swapped gear I realized it would never be kept up to date and scrapped the idea.

Last edited by Garan : 11-12-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Unread 11-14-2019, 09:07 PM
The Wary

Ahhh, figured it was something like that. Thanks.
Unread 11-21-2019, 11:27 AM
The Undefeated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garan
Short answer: providing the tooltip would require a system so maintenance intensive that no one would likely use it.

Longer, more complicated answer: In order to provide a tooltip, we need an item ID for the item in question. Unfortunately, the only way to get an item ID from an in-game item is to have a user drag and drop the item in question - we can retrieve an item ID from the drag/drop operation. Unfortunately, we can not simply programmatically retrieve all of the item IDs for equipped/inventory items (something we have asked Turbine and now SSG to implement but it doesn't seem likely to happen), instead the user would have to drag and drop every piece of equipment to a Lua control so that we can grab the item ID and store it. Now, theoretically this is possible but that would mean remembering to drag items to a lua control every single time you switch out equipment, that would include rings, bracelets, shields, weapons, etc. It would be a maintenance nightmare. Once the IDs are captured, redisplaying them is trivial, it's just the capturing and keeping up to date that would drive users nuts. I actually toyed with the idea of implementing this for the Equipped Items panel of AltViewer several years ago but after seeing how often I swapped gear I realized it would never be kept up to date and scrapped the idea.
Are the item IDs from linked items in chat the same as the item IDs from drag/drop?

Could it be possible to have something set up in the background to log whenever someone links an item and would that be useful to even have a somewhat incomplete list of item IDs?
Unread 11-21-2019, 01:16 PM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agollas
Are the item IDs from linked items in chat the same as the item IDs from drag/drop?

Could it be possible to have something set up in the background to log whenever someone links an item and would that be useful to even have a somewhat incomplete list of item IDs?
No need to try capturing random items from chat. You can just use a simple loop to populate an item control and then retrieved the item name and other attributes that are exposed to Lua. There have been a couple of plugins that use this method to create databases of items. The problem is that there is no way to uniquely match those items to the items that the user has equipped. The closest way would be by name but item names are far from unique. That leads to incorrect information and end user complaints when the system thinks you have one item 'X' equipped but you actually have a different item with the same exact name. It winds up being inaccurate and certainly not worth the effort.

EDIT: For an example of an existing item database, see Galuhad's ItemDatabase - https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...mDatabase.html

Last edited by Garan : 11-21-2019 at 09:32 PM.