lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > General Authoring Discussion (L)

Unread 04-20-2007, 11:22 AM
The Wary

Wow.. it's nice to see Turbine devs involve din this kind of discussion.
Let me add my vote to the tally: it would be great to have scripting/modding capabilities that extend beyond the skinning.

I'm a software developer by trade, so I understand the complexity of this sort of task. Yes, even if the engine is in place for the development team, simply opening up the system to the average users out there is quite daunting.

I also have to say that the base GUI provided by LOTRO seems to cover most of what's needed (e.g. the social tab, the LFF system, the crafting, etc etc). However, we said the same thing when wow first came out... and in a short time we all realized that there was more to be added.

I think this is pretty normal. Covering 100%, or even 80% of the end-user needs is a difficult task. Sometimes, spending the time to develop an infrastructure that lets the users extend the system as they need is the best alternative.

Yeah, I'm rambling.. it's the same rambling I spill with my managers often and repeatedly :P

Is there a place on the official LOTRO website where we could/should post our thoughts in regard ?

Thanks,
~K
Unread 04-24-2007, 03:42 PM
The Wary

SWG and EQ2 Sales Manager

Hi there,

Just thought I'd add in my tuppence worth
I am the developer of the Sales Vendor utilities for SWG and EQ2. Once scripting is enabled I shall create a version for LOTRO.

Keep up the good work, it's worth it

Dan
Unread 09-15-2008, 01:33 PM
The Wary

I'm curious, has there been any progress to incorporating LUA or another scripting language into LOTRO?

If the concern is about making the combat in the game "easy" then why not just set the API up so that you don't make the combat events available to the interpreter? That would still allow for most other mod types (like auction house, questing and such) to exist.

This thread seems kinda old so I'm just wondering if anyone has heard anything?
Unread 09-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Tools and UI Engineer
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I've heard lots of things. Unfortunately they're not suitable for sharing with the community at large. About the only thing I can say is "still in development." And I won't be tricked into explaining that any further!

I don't think the issue has been about making the combat "too easy", it has been about the events shared with the UI and where the line is drawn (as you mention). I suspect (see how I inject personal opinion there so that this isn't considered a binding statement from The Company?) that the eventual scripting will be pretty tight with the events shared with the UI to begin with, then loosened up as we have more experience with the tools we develop.

-P
Unread 09-22-2008, 01:53 PM
The Wary

I'm glad to see a new post in this thread as I've been wondering about this more and more as MoM nears release. I'm really hopeful that something will happen there. I'm absolutely convinced that a huge reason as to why WoW has held on to such a large fanbase is due to game add-ons. I would really love to see something happen in LotRO since I play it most.

Honestly, at this stage I'd even be happy with some sort of LotRO take on WoW's Armory . I really liked the addition of character signatures... I feel like in some ways the game just lacks things that make people feel more connected to it as there's so little to share with others.
Unread 01-31-2009, 05:59 AM
The Undefeated

G15 Lcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty
Suppport for the Logitech G15 keyboard is in. We have your morale, power, and current landscape or dungeon area displayed in the LCD.

-P
I know this is off topic but I had to respond to this. Unfortunately, I am really disappointed with the functionality of the LCD screen on the G15. I would rather information that is readily available, but not displayed on the HUD. Examples would be an empty bag count, amount of cash, and other useful information. Since we have user frames and a radar giving the same info reflected on the LCD, the functionality is redundant. And redundancy is useless to me.

Just my 2-cents.
Unread 04-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty
Suppport for the Logitech G15 keyboard is in. We have your morale, power, and current landscape or dungeon area displayed in the LCD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farinhin
I know this is off topic but I had to respond to this. Unfortunately, I am really disappointed with the functionality of the LCD screen on the G15. I would rather information that is readily available, but not displayed on the HUD. Examples would be an empty bag count, amount of cash, and other useful information. Since we have user frames and a radar giving the same info reflected on the LCD, the functionality is redundant. And redundancy is useless to me.
I have two G15 keyboards (one at work and one on my gaming PC), but I don't use the LOTRO status because I have better things to do with it (ie: Vent and my own apps).

But now with Logitech's G19 right around the corner, may be Turbine can look towards developing something interesting here? The full color 320x240 LCD screen on this keyboard is more than capable of displaying a wicked variety of game data already available in the UI as the poster above mentioned.

Any thoughts on this, Frosty?
Unread 04-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Tools and UI Engineer

We'd have to get the Logitechh G19 SDK and see what new functionality is offered and how much time it will take to integrate into our codebase. Then, if the LOTRO team decides they want a new display, it's fairly straightforward (note that I didn't say "easy") to hook up.

-P
Unread 04-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Indeed, it may not be easy at all.

I'm surprised Logitech hasn't released the SDK yet for their G19. You'd think a company that is about to release a new piece of gaming hardware would release developer tools long before the product is released. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait a while after the product comes to market.

Thanks for the info, Frosty.

P.S. The software for it is available here, but I don't know if this includes an SDK or not. However, it does include an emulator to test applications without needing a G19 keyboard.

Last edited by cipher_nemo : 04-22-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Unread 04-24-2009, 10:56 AM
The Undying

Going back ON topic: I'm pleased to see that the LOTRO UI isn't like in WoW. This way everyone is equal in its tools. I don't like to be almost obliged to use certain plug-ins because otherwise I won't be able to make as much money as I could, because with it people don't have to think, or not be able to use skill after skill exactly in the right order and at the right time, so to be maybe excluded from (pick-up) groups, since I won't be able to "keep up".

The quest guide is a nice feature that most likely is "borrowed" from WoW, which enbales people who have difficulty understanding the English very well, but still like to play to finish quests with less difficulty, or to make it a 'no-brainer'. But the thing here is, is that everyone has it. So everyone has the same tools, so everyone is treated equally and no need to download and update all kinds of mods and add-ons.

If certain features HAVE to be implemented, I'd say: let Turbine do that.