lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > LotRO Wish List (L)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-04-2011, 02:09 PM
The Wary

New to Lula but have some good ideas.

I have an idea for an in-game recipe checklist and an in-game quest guide that I would like to develop but I am not a programmer (although in the IT field) and know nothing about LUA scripting. I am not completely new to programming, although I will admit that I am a novice at best. I would like a little guidance and where to start, what applications to down load, and where I can find source code that will save me time.

My first idea is an in-game recipe checklist. I am currently using an Excel spreadsheet that is completely up to date and I didn't get it from Missy although Missy's is a good one. The one I created is an actual checklist that blacks out the rows using macros instead of just a checkbox. I feel it is a great addition to Missy's checklist and would like to know how I can export this and have the ability to pull it up in game so I didn't have to minimize anymore. What program(s) do I use? How do I export an Excel spreadsheet with enabled macros to this program?

My second idea would be to create an in-game guide. I have had friends stopped playing LOTRO because they say they have ran out of things to do and they were only lvl 35. They do not know where to go to quest and do not want to grind.

I see this today even, with F2P a lot of people are playing who have never read the books and are not familiar with Tolkien's world. They are constantly hitting me up to point them in the right direction. So how about an in-game guide like Zygor's or Dugi's? A step by step guide on exactly where to go and what to do without missing out on the important stuff and getting most of the rep grind out of the way. It would be similar to the quest tracker we have now, but it would tell you who to talk to, what quests to get, what mobs to kill you know step by step. I currently use RPGTutor's guide and if that were in-game then it would save me a lot of time form minimizing the screen and finding out what needs to be done next.

I know I know, it doesn't sound fun, but I have OCD, I like structure...lol even if it is in a game. Why do you think I made a recipe checklist...lol

I would like to either help out on these projects or create them myself because I love a good challenge, but as I said before I am not a programmer and am not familiar with LUA scripting at all. So if I could just get a little help on what to download, how to import an Excel worksheet, is it legal to pull source code from the LOTRO game (like if I could get the quest tracker source code I would think that most of the work would be complete, but that is probably not legal) Anyway, any help is much appreciated. Thank you for your time.