lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > LotRO Wish List (L)

Unread 12-09-2007, 12:53 PM
The Undefeated

Frosty - Client Side Layout Data, Please!

Frosty, I'm really hoping you can help with this. It seems that the UI layout information is kept server side. Is there ANY way we can get that changed to client side?

The problem comes when playing the same character on two different computers with two different screen sizes/resolutions. I set up a nice button/window/bar layout on my desktop, which has a higher resolution. Then, when I attempt to play the same character on my laptop, everything is squished together because the screen size/resolution is smaller. Why can't the layout information be kept client side so that i can set up two different layouts for the same character's UI, one on the laptop and one on the desktop.

This is getting REALLY frustrating.
Unread 12-09-2007, 06:13 PM
GM, Scarlet Underground
Premium Member
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

This is something we have suggested a bunch of times. I'm betting Frosty has gone to the team with this complaint and gotten it shot down for some reason. I do think this is something that definitely needs to be implemented - it is not an uncommon situation and it gets very aggravating to get your ui placement all set perfect only to have it get fubar when you change resolutions/computers.

Along with this, the client side configuration file needs to store multiple resolutions AND screen state (ie. full screen, windowed) which would essentially fix the issue when using the custom-sized main bar (ie. when switching from full screen to windowed and back, the main bar doesn't want to go back to its correct position). Basically, store interface location by window state and resolution in a configuration file (or one file per resolution) and force the ui to "reload" every time the resolution or screen state changes, and you have fixed two glaring problems - especially when it comes to customized uis.

And this might even enable us to have a /reloadui command!
Unread 12-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Tools and UI Engineer

ok, it's in! ok, not really, but we have a plan.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...=1#post1358694

-P
Unread 12-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
LOTROInterface Admin

We love you Frosty!

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:02 PM
The Undefeated

please don't forget about UI scales, Frosty, they are stored separately, as a character properties, not in the GameplayOptionProfile as UI positions.
Unread 12-10-2007, 09:23 PM
GM, Scarlet Underground
Premium Member

The ui is coming along nicely thanks to your support Frosty. Glad you are listening to us!

**subl*im*inal X*ML XML X*ML so *you are ha*unted* by i*t in y*our sle*ep**
Unread 02-11-2008, 10:36 PM
The Undefeated

Has any progress been made on this? We need either a way to save our layouts or save the data client side.
Unread 02-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Tools and UI Engineer

I'm sure you don't want the ins and outs of a big corporate design philosophy (spec writing, approvbal, rework, etc.) oops, I did it anyway.

It's still being worked on. I can't give an update or release date, unfortunately.
Unread 03-29-2008, 07:35 PM
The Undefeated

Just checking back again, sir. This is something I keep waiting on. Not only for different screen resolutions but for different uses of the same character (PvP, healing, etc.). Can we get an update, plz?
Unread 03-29-2008, 09:41 PM
The Undying

I'm not switching much, but yeah it would be nice.
Could it be possible to make loading/setting an UI skin to load the XML file THEN? I find it a bit annoying I have to restart the client for every XML update I need to test.

And maybe also make the UI reposition (especially the main bar) according to a side of the screen and not only x,y coords. If someone uses a UI that is written for 1600x1200 and tries it on a smaller resolution.. the person ahs to dive into the code him/herself to adjust it to his/her own resolution. If the position could be set to 110 px from bottom (110 is its default height, presuming its upper left pixel is the "key pixel") make it always appear at the bottom of the screen, despite the use of any resolution.

Looking forward to your progress, Frosty

Last edited by Wicked Mouse : 03-29-2008 at 09:45 PM.