View Single Post
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:19 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Well, this plugin business isn't so bad. Thanks in no small part to Garan's excellent tutorial and Alerts plugin to use as an example, I now have a shell that parses the Death channel for "Your mighty blow defeated (.+)%." and strips out the enemy name successfully. Still have all of the data management and UI presentation to do of course, but I want to work through the parsing challenges first.

Now for the hard part really...I'm not sure exactly what all messages I need to look for. I know I've seen "The Trap defeated X."...not sure if it says the same thing if it's someone else's trap, in which case that could be a problem. Only solution I can think of if that's the case would be to monitor the Combat Player channel for the Trap damage and only count the kill if I find such a message at about the same time on the same named enemy. Not perfect, and a bit of a pain, but feasible and probably good enough. There are probably other mechanics besides "Trap" that work similarly...I could use some help here.

Traps and similar objects aside (and putting off French/German language support for the moment), anyone know if there are other messages that can display here other than "Your mighty blow defeated X."? Not sure if other attack types generate other messages.... Magic? Do DoT effects message differently if they cause the kill? Any other ways to kill a creature that should count?

Also not sure how to handle pets (LM/Captain) or soldiers - maybe I could allow users to enter specific names that should be counted in addition to the character directly. We'd have to make our pet names unique to avoid mismatches though, and I'm not even sure you can name soldiers...? This mechanism could also be used manually to count fellowship kills I guess...otherwise it's only counting the kills where you have the killing blow.

Other thoughts? Ideas? Anyone interested in this other than me?