View Single Post
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:11 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Digging for some feedback on LotROMaps direction

First of all, the new project is progressing nicely - with basically just blending the subzone parchment maps into the main zone parchments is all that's left of getting the maps themselves ready, before chopping up the various tiles.

However, since I'm at this point, I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who have had the chance to test out the plugin "proof of concept" involving which method you would prefer.

My initial goal/idea was to make the map zone-based, where there would be a separate set of tiles for each zone, as defined by the parchment map, with similar methods of switching between zones. Basically similar to how the dynamic map at ruslotro.com works - or even the in-game parchment map, except with the added benefit of zoom and a terrain view. This is basically the idea that was illustrated by the concept plugin - minus the "shortcuts" over the "to (bordering zone)" text.

The reason for this decision was two-fold. First, thanks to the parchment map, most players are used to the zone-based map interface - making such a similar technique theoretically more intuitive and faster than navigating through a continuous map like the Lorebook Google Map. The second reason is that the vast majority of quests are single-zone based - meaning that it's unlikely for there to be much of a reason to seamlessly scroll from one zone to another.

But - those are at least my ideas on the matter. Although a seamless map has an undeniable "cool factor", I haven't seen much evidence that this not only gives an inherent advantage, but is actually more popular than the zone-based quest helpers. This, essentially is what I am interested in hearing from you. Which type do you feel would be the most convenient for you to use?

Of course, any other questions or suggestions are welcome, but in order to keep things interesting, I'll throw out a mini FAQ here.

Q: Can I beta test?

A: When the zone maps are finished, and the navigation is working completely (including switching "hot spots") then I will make a public beta available for those with at least Android 1.6. Although the minimum version is not yet set in stone - it is my goal.

Q: What devices will this be released for?

A: Initially Android - but mostly because I actually have an Android I can test with. From there, iPhone and Windows Phone 7 are strong possibilities - depending on how much free time I have, and how quickly I can pick up those APIs.

Q: Will there be any way I can see my location on the map?

A: Hopefully, yes. I can't give a definite answer until I can test whether the performance will be acceptable or not; but it certainly is very high on the list of features I want to provide. It will however require a Windows application (to retrieve and "broadcast" the data) so your device can get it.

Q: Will I be able to add custom points to it?

A: Yes - in fact, in the long run this will be a very important ability. Outside of the location info idea, I'm still thinking on the best way to communicate location coordinates between the game and the device. I'm leaning towards QR Codes, but the implementation right now is still up in the air

Q: Will this have instance maps as well?

A: Yes...eventually. The tricky part essentially boils down to matching up the instances with the appropriate map tiles. Understandably end-game related instances/raids will be easier to pull off than Cave #125 that requires a specific quest to enter.

Q: Will this be another app I have to update 500 times a year?

A: Hopefully not, as that's a personal pet peeve of mine. It's also why I plan on doing at least a couple of beta tests before it hits the Market. On top of that, all necessary data will be web based - including zone information. This way, as soon as a new zone/instance map is ready, I just have to add it to the list, and you should be able to access that area almost immediately. The only time you should see an actual update is if something broke, or a new feature has been added - y'know, the kind of updates people actually like

Q: Is this just another "Proof of Concept" that is going to end up being abandoned like the plugin?

A: No. First, and probably most importantly, the plugin was abandoned only due to the limitations of that platform - if anything, my desire to make this was actually increased by the overwhelmingly favorable reception the plugin got. I realize that not everybody has a smartphone - but this seemed to be the best alternative that would be useful to the largest number of people. Second, that's why I'm getting all the maps together and ready, before I even release a beta - this way, even if I get abducted by aliens, you'll still have something somewhat useful - at least more useful than a map of Lothlorien .

Lord of the Rings Online
75 Fourohfour | 75 Artemedis | 60 Whiskeytango Foxtrot | 50 Mistah Boombastic | 56 Appetizer | 25 Aggromi
61 Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts

World of Warcraft
90 Downlo 85 Gravetaxi 85 Ümad 85 Artemedis 85 Guthuros