View Single Post
Unread 03-08-2021, 06:06 PM
The Wary

Shameless solicitation (chat parsing, ui, data passing)

Hi,

I am new to this community so I feel a little bad asking for something before contributing... but I am going to anyway because I guess I am a jerk... sorry. TLDR I am hoping someone who is confident in lua will be interested in consulting/working on this project with me.

I have been working on an idea for a plugin forking off the Songbook plugin, what I want is a background windows app that parses data (songs in list, inputs, etc) to suggest a song that is "recommended" to play next. This is in my wheelhouse.

The part that I am struggling with is the lua in game interface as I have never worked in lua before and while there are many cool products made by this community I am getting a raging headache parsing through these files to try and figure out the pieces of code that I need to emulate.

My main tasks in lua right now are:

Modify the Songbook UI to integrate my functionality; I want a button that changes depending on next expected input from "/play x sync" to reminders to change instruments. I want a interface that represents detected state of band members "player x is waiting to play y".

Send and read data from chat; I want the band leader to be able to send instructions through chat to all members, song and instrument, and band members to be able to send their state.

I also need to send data to the plugindata files and read from them, though because the nature of the app isn't very time sensitive I hope I can just wait the 30 seconds.

I will keep plugging away at making this plugin myself, but would happily take advice, and even more happily work with someone more comfortable in lua than I, side bonus I havn't met someone new during this particular pandemic and friends are nice

Hope you all are doing well, and thank you for your time,

Nathan