View Single Post
Unread 01-10-2011, 10:18 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimon
/agree

Isn't one of the main things for MMO's to show off your stuff ? ;P
This should have been done by the turbine devs long ago as DU says (of course there's a lot of other stuff that should be done/fixed long ago but this is definitely one of them).

That's a huge work-load. I'm sure there will be willing helpers around for this kind of project (/careful sign for helping out if time allows it and my skills are sufficient enough).

Hah. We Euro people don't even have that ;D
I think, in order to make it possible for as many people to help out, all you'd need is a copy of the ripper program (which is free), and to submit the textures/scene. probably a list of item IDs and a naming scheme for organization.

People that would want to help out, that do have familiarity with a 3D modeling app or even an image editor - then they could help with the prepping etc.

Based on preliminary testing - the ripper doesn't get the right scaling on the dressing room model, so it has to be scaled width-wise, around 50%. In addition, each texture needs to have a copy for each dye - as the textures themselves are semi-transparent where the dye shows through. So basically the main texture has to be brought into photoshop/paintshop, and saved with a solid color layer below it for each dye color. I'm not sure exactly how it's done in game - but since flash/java 3D viewers aren't exactly the most complex, it's better to keep things simple.

Animation is definitely beyond the scope of this project - as that would require creating a skeleton, weighing each mesh (specifying how the mesh is deformed by the bones), and manually reproducing the animations. Something that's a bit outside my skills. However, some kind of common axis/registration point will probably need to be added to each piece, to make everything assemble correctly.

Again, a lot of this is just theory based off of what I have uncovered throughout experimenting with the ripper and my previous modeling experience. I'm pretty confident this is feasible - otherwise I wouldn't have made this thread; but there are details to iron out, as well as a specific process that needs to be figured out.

Lord of the Rings Online
75 Fourohfour | 75 Artemedis | 60 Whiskeytango Foxtrot | 50 Mistah Boombastic | 56 Appetizer | 25 Aggromi
61 Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts

World of Warcraft
90 Downlo 85 Gravetaxi 85 Ümad 85 Artemedis 85 Guthuros