View Single Post
Unread 05-06-2007, 03:42 PM
GM, Scarlet Underground
Premium Member
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreagan
Where are your Harddrives?

I have 2 extreme gaming rigs that I built, and I never had prior expierences building.
My first is just over 1yo:
AMD [email protected]
DFI Lan-Party SDi-DR
2x Gskill RAM
2x 7800GTX EVGA GPUs
2x 150G Barracuda HDD 7200RPM in RAID 0
FSP 680W PSU

3DMARK06 score: 6600

MY 3 month old rig:
Intel [email protected]
EVGA 680i MOBO
4x Corsair Dominator SLi RAM
2x EVGA 8800GTXs
2x 150G Raptors 10000RPM in RAID 0
500G Seagate 7200 Media Drive
BFG 1000w PSU
Audigy4 Soundcard

3DMARK06 score: 14680

I hope this helps you some, building a personal rig is very exciting.

PS: Dont forget Arctic Silver 5 to use as your Heatsink paste.
I am using my existing hard drives for now. Its a 160gb Seagate 7200. That second rig you got is awesome; I wish I had the money to build that. Well, I do, but my wife would murder me if I built that.

I have been a hardcore AMD user since the first 486 I bought (pre-built HP system that cost like $3000 back in the early 90s OMG!) and haven't touched an Intel processer. Several people have suggested the e6600 because it outperforms the AMD, but I haven't been convinced that its significant enough that I want to ditch AMD. Besides, it doesn't take a e6600 to play LOTRO at ultra-quality, methinks.

The other thing I'm considering is that I will personally only be using this rig for about four months. I'm moving my family to Tokyo in October and I will be building another computer once I get there. I figure in the Akihabara I should be able to get some crazy good deals on equipment, and with four months of saving and I should be able to build a dream machine. My wife will inherit the system I'm building now.

Oh and btw, I was torn between the MSI and that exact same EVGA board (I have both printed out). You think its worth the extra $30?