LoTROInterface

LoTROInterface (https://www.lotrointerface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (https://www.lotrointerface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Welcome and Introductions (Post Hello's Here) (https://www.lotrointerface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3)

FAITHHOPE 04-03-2007 05:36 PM

Hello everyone

1 Attachment(s)
Just a quick word to say how exited I am .

and cant wait to slay a few orcs!:eek:

techsgtchen 04-04-2007 12:00 PM

Hello :) I am excited about the game and hope that Turbine changes and adds an LUA-esque modding capability to the game.

Cairenn 04-04-2007 12:04 PM

Welcome to the site FaithHope and techsgtchen. :)

Micro 04-12-2007 12:20 AM

Hello everyone this site was a great find keep up the good work.

Cairenn 04-12-2007 01:03 AM

Thanks Micro, we'll certainly try to. :)

Pixi 04-13-2007 11:19 AM

Howdies.

Figured I'd give LoTR a shot since Vanguard turned out to be such a disappointment to me. I've been trolling the XXXinterface.com sites (and let's not forget equi.com hehe) since the dawn of man, approximately (though I have Genghiz Cohen as a username on the EQ1 site), and I'll probably stick around till I fall over dead. :p

Looking forward to see what you brainy interface folks can come up with for this game. :)

Cairenn 04-13-2007 12:32 PM

Hey Pixi - gonna take a while to get used to the new user name. ;) Good to see you here. :)

Pixi 04-13-2007 12:56 PM

Hehe I haven't used Genghiz in a while (years? ish). The whole loyalty thread on VG was posted as Pixi... :o
As well as my feeble attempts at modding with the Burt Pack back at EQ2 launch hehe.

Cairenn 04-13-2007 01:12 PM

Yeah, I know, but I still know you as Genghiz, even though you've been using other names since. If I changed my name, you'd still always think of me as Cair. Same thing for me. Get to know someone, know them for quite some time as [Name], that will always be their [Name] in your mind. It's just remembering to call them by their new name that is the challenge. ;)

Pixi 04-13-2007 01:15 PM

True. My Genghiz was a dear character back in EQ1 that I got really attached to and you know how it is hehe. It just didn't feel right. Pixi is nice and neutral (even if I tend to roll characters with that name - Amazons and Valkyries are too tempting to resist lol) and is my name of choice for forums now. :)

BuzWeaver 04-14-2007 09:22 PM

Hello All.

Cairenn 04-14-2007 10:05 PM

Hi BuzWeaver. :)

Greeen 04-16-2007 10:20 AM

And another hello!
*waves*

Played since EU early beta. Nagged alot on Codie forums (same forum name as here) :D

Came by this site via Xukii.

*waves again and pulls out some nice Longbottem pipeweed, smokes a pipe*

Thaloss 04-16-2007 11:14 AM

Hello all! So far I love the game, I'm on the Landroval (not sure about the spelling) server. My main is Selethen, also Thaloss and Machete. I may try my hand at this interface thing. Great site guys!

Cairenn 04-16-2007 11:27 AM

Welcome to the site Greeen and Thaloss. :)

Frosty 04-18-2007 10:51 AM

A Formal Introduction

Hey Everone, I'm Frosty and I've been working at Turbine for over six years now.

I'm "the guy" that came up with and implemented the skinning technology that
our engine uses.

My day job is the Tools Technical Lead for the game engine team overseeing our content pipeline all the way from the modeling software through our world building tools and into the packed .dat files your client uses. I'm one of about a dozen engineers that work on the "Turbine Engine" that is used internally for our different games.

Last year, I took a sabatical from my normal job and helped program the UI for LOTRO. I worked with a different dozen or so game systems engineers who are responsible for crafting the game on top of the Turbine engine.

Some of the questions I have the capacity to investigate or answer are:
- Can we get more IDs defined for our skins? (Yes, looking into it.)
- Why doesn't skinning work? (We all remember this one from closed beta - my bad.)
- Why did you choose such a weird XML format? (I'm an XML newb and this was easy.)
- What's your favorite vegetable? (Probably ketchup.)
- What was that hint you dropped about new skinning features being available in the month 1 patch? (What hint? I don't remember saying anything about that...)

Some of the questions I really don't know about:
- What are the sizes and alpha-ness of all the artwork?
- Blah blah blah artistic question blah click buzz?
- If a train leaves Chicago at 8am travelling 60mph and a girl is on the train and wants to buy 15 apples at 35 cents each, what time will the train reach Detroit if all the apples are Macintosh and not Granny Smiths?

-P

p.s. and the first initial is "P", not a one-eyed-tongue-sticking-out cyclops.

Cairenn 04-18-2007 11:06 AM

Thanks for the expanded introduction Frosty! :)

And I don't think very much of that train, Granny Smiths ftw! ;)

Windburn 04-19-2007 04:15 AM

We even prefer Granny Smiths all the way over the other side of the Pacific, here in Australia! That train is *really* in the wrong business!

Ohhh, and I'm just here to say a quick hello!
I'm eager to get my hands dirty with this new skinning system (since it's sooo easy to work with). I'm a bit like Mr. Frosty here, except infinitely worse. I couldn't even tell you where the start or end to an xml file is, so I'm really glad it's implemented the way it is.

Looking forward to getting to know you all, I see lots of familiar (and talented!) faces from over at wowi, and I'm loving the direction this is going too!

Ciao ciao,

- Windburn

PS: Come say hi to me over on Vilya if you get a chance!
Character name is Evensong (A minstrel, so I'll even play you a ballad or two!)

Cairenn 04-19-2007 11:16 AM

Hi Windburn! :)

Sabar 05-03-2007 03:56 AM

Hi all.

First thing when I started to play LOTRO? "Man, this interface could use some fixing!" Being familiar with WoW and EQ2 Interface, I naturally expected there to be a website for LOTRO and here I am. Jumping into the modding scene early, makes it easier than getting in late. I'm a bad artist but I still like creating things, funny that. I'm a much better technical drawer than a creative one, but I try anyways.

More interested in the raw mechanics of the UI, but that isn't changable yet, so I might as well try skinning!

Cairenn 05-03-2007 11:47 AM

Good to see another author on the site. Welcome Sabar. :)

Weskat 05-04-2007 12:11 AM

Howdy

Hmm, guess I didn't post a hello when I signed up here. So, without further ado,

Howdy all

p.s. I think the answer to the train is 16, because ice cream has no bones. Though that may be be answer to: How many pancakes does it take to shingle a doghouse? :confused: .

Weskat

Cairenn 05-04-2007 08:10 AM

*Chuckles at Weskat*

Trottimus 05-31-2007 07:42 AM

Good Afternoon

Hello all,

How rude of me, I've slotted myself into this website and thrown two bars of mine on here without an introduction! Sorry about that! I didn't see this welcoming thread, I hope I am forgiven :)

I'm relatively new to this modding business, but I have been a huge fan of peoples work since my addiction to WoW, and with the release of LOTRO I feel it necessary to begin getting into it as it seems like a fun and rewarding process.

I came across this site directly from the official website, and i'm so glad I did.This community appears very friendly and helpful and I can't wait to see what happens on here in the future.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Trottimus

elfboy1 05-31-2007 11:50 AM

Hello everyone,
Well to start off I am a very avid Tolkien/Middle-Earth fan, I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy when I was nine and ten years old, I have also and started a collection of his other books (including Christopher's).

Lord of the Rings Online is my first MMORPG, I have waited 2+ years for it and hope to be playing for many years to come. After finding out that you could make custom UIs I had the pleasure of visiting this website and actually downloaded a custom UI and really enjoy it (Celtic). I hope to make my own custom UI in the future.

Cairenn 05-31-2007 01:36 PM

Hi Trottimus and elfboy1! :)

anei 06-20-2007 11:35 AM

Hey there everyone.

Not really much to say about myself - apart from that I look forward to contirbuting and enjoying this site as it grows from strength to strength.

Long live lotro :)

Clattuc 09-28-2007 01:35 AM

Looks as though the hello's have fallen a bit behind!

Thank you for providing this hospitality; if you are interested in being the next Dread Pirate Frodo, see me afterwards.

Cairenn 09-28-2007 10:05 AM

*chuckles at Clattuc*

Neurotic 12-19-2007 08:47 AM

Hello one and all! I'm coming here one post too late, and that was, in retrospect, in the wrong folder. Still, better late than never I s'pose.

I'm strictly an amateur fiddler, you probably won't be seeing any contributions from me unless I can really kick H1cks's excellent editor into shape. But, I'm a happy camper and like to help when I can.

Right, that's it for the perfunctory hellos, back to the Index!

Cheers,

Neurotic. :)

BaaIZebub 12-22-2007 11:02 PM

Hello!

Hello all! I am a Video Game Artist from Scotland, working in Salt Lake City.
Since I deal with graphics all day at work, I rarely have the desire to come home and do the same, but sometimes I dabble.

Like now, I couldn't find a minimap I liked, so I just knocked one up. I've posted a thread on general about it to see if anyone wants it.

I'm also modding the buttons from Grey UI, not a fan of the borders on such tiny icons.

Ok, back to the modding :)

Cairenn 12-23-2007 01:22 AM

Hi Neurotic and BaaIZebub. :)

Wicked Mouse 03-25-2008 08:26 AM

I'll just say "hi" as a "fresh author" too :)

I've read about LOTRO in 2004, but well it was just a few teasing pictures back then. In January 2007 I was offered a small peek into closed beta by a fellow guild/community member and since then I was sold. I've played WoW for 2 months, so was familiar with the MMORPG genre, but found this so much more immersive. Got myself an account too and grabbed the opportunity to test all classes to about lvl 12 and monsterplay. Didn't want to play much more/further, not to spoil any more at launch in 28 April 2007. Got myself pre-order and Collector's Edition and still a happy gamer on the Laurelin server (not so much an RPer, but like it occasionally)!

Being a graphics person I've always been intrigued by "skinning", as it would give a simple solution to change a complicated piece of software to your own liking. I've skinned ICQ and WinAMP very simply back in 2000-2001. Didn't dig into WinAMP or even Windows Media Player a lot, as it would need a lot of study into codes too, and I'm no programmer.

Recently I took the opportunity to make one I felt I was missing on LOTROinterface.com, and so made a Hobbit UI where I could go full throttle on flower, leaves and wood :D When I finalized it, I'll maybe make more :)

Beorn 05-06-2008 10:16 PM

Hi there

Hello all, not a modder myself but just to say I enjoy and appreciate the work you guys put in to make those little details extra special for all of us to enjoy.

Keep up the good work.

zanntis 07-08-2008 03:31 PM

Greatings from zanntis

Hi everyone.

I have used Mods with EQ2 the eq2map and a crafting UI mod. LotRol interface mods are new.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

I am looking for map mods, compass mods or anything to help my poor dyslexic brain stop getting turned around and lost.

I learned the in game /alias ;myloc /tell CHARACTER NAME ;loc then ;myloc to get my longitude and latitude 28.5s, 63.3w for instance. I see at Allakhazam good maps with lost of information.

Is there a Mod that I can use to get a map point in game, a very basic dot to help me find my way?

So far that is the only in game UI function that is bugging me. If you have any other recommendations to enhance my gaming experience I am interested.

I thank you in advance for your help and wisdom.

Gaylen 07-08-2008 04:15 PM

LOTRO does not allow mods. We're only able to reskin the UI.

zanntis 07-09-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaylen (Post 2893)
LOTRO does not allow mods. We're only able to reskin the UI.

Oh thank you. I thought anything that changed the original game was a modification, I did not know there was a difference. I'll go read some more.

Ollok 06-07-2009 10:48 AM

Hello

I just wanted to say hello. I am new to this site, and have already begun to use several of the great skins that I found. I have also got the bug to try and do a little sesigning myself. I think I will most likely start by playing around altering others, untill I get the feel of this. To be honest the last programing type stuff I did was when Basic was THE thing. That was back when the Commadore 16 was the newest and greatest computer to hit the shelves. And the Internet wasn't even there. So I may have alot of questions. But I hope to get a little fun out of this all the same.
:o

And see...I started right off putting this in the wrong thread....see what I have to deal with.....:o :0

Cairenn 06-07-2009 01:52 PM

Welcome to the site Ollok. :)

Brygard2007 06-08-2009 12:20 AM

:cool:Welcome Ollok.:)

Yeah that's how I learned and started when I was messing around Ledmirage and Dewee UI's about 2 years ago.

After I grasp the concept what makes the UI work then I started my first UI and released it nervously.

But don't let that stop you :D, and once again welcome to the site.:)