View Full Version : Hosting of UI Mods on a Kinship/Guild website

06-22-2007, 11:30 AM

Please excuse me if this questions belongs elsewhere but it seems to fall under this.

Within the next few weeks I will be standing up a kinship/guild site and would at some point like to host the different UI's made available by the authors. Is it policy to basically just contact the authors and ask for their approval to post it?

The last thing I want to do host work of others without their consent and blessing. It will be hosted on a download only accessible via user login (which of course any dev would have if they chose to.

It may be every UI authored, probably just those used by members of that come highly recommended. But I just want to make sure I follow the written or even unwritten rules that govern this type policy.

Please let me know, and whatever is approved is great, and if not thats ok too. That is why there are site like lotrointerface.com available.

Your time and attention is greatly appreciated.


06-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Why not linking on this site?

Just create an UI-overview on your site with previewpicture, UI-informations like author and maybe even usercomments while the downloadbutton leads on this site, mabye called "Download from LOTRO-Interface".

There's no real downside, if you choose this method. There are even benefits for you:

- You won't have to update the UIs on your own, when an author release a new update
- You'll never have problems with the copyright
- You won't use your own webspace and traffic

But keep in mind, that you shouldn't link on the files directly. The Link should always lead to downloadpage of the UI.

06-22-2007, 12:07 PM
That is a good point. probably the best idea for both bandwitdh and support. I will go that route instead. Always good to get others to point out not well thought out plans :)

Thank you.

06-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Yes, your more then welcome to link the info page of the mod here as your sure to always have the latest version. If you wanted to host the mods your self the correct thing to do would be to contact the author and get their permission. :)