PDA

View Full Version : Crash in ROI with some plugins

Eili
09-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I dont use a lot of plugins, but even those after a while started to crash me desktop.

I use Manager to load them and Travel, Bevy2 and ScrappyScripting and Lotropad

Unfortunatly i started to test but ha to go rest so tomorrow i will load them one by one and check if one is involved or all 5

Valdacil
09-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Based on the plugins that are causing the crash my guess is that it is the LUA hook to the backpack. Travel, BuffBars and a few others that hook into the backpack seem to be the most common culprits. I read a post that indicated Turbine intested to tweak LUA again before live.

MrJackdaw
09-03-2011, 03:02 PM
I use Manager to load them and Travel, Bevy2 and ScrappyScripting and Lotropad

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Ahem*

And here was I hoping it wasn't going to be hours of re-coding...

jasonspeed
09-03-2011, 05:24 PM
All I use are Buff Bars, Travel Windows, and Mouse Cursor. I tried running each one at a time to see which was causing the crash but it happened to each of them individually. I miss my buff bars.

Edit. Mouse Circle does not cause any crashes. That's a pretty basic plugin though.

Wicked Mouse
09-03-2011, 06:18 PM
What about TonicBars?

Eili
09-05-2011, 04:05 AM
Silly question but here i go ...

For Beta i simply pasted my plugins-data character into the Bull server, i did not created anything

Should i try to make it new from start to see if it could be something with the old data or that will change nothing ?

jasonspeed
09-05-2011, 07:12 AM
I character copied to Bullroarer also. I didn't create any new toons. I don't think that would make a difference though. There's an update to LUA in the expansion so I guess existing plugins will need to be updated.

Valdacil
09-06-2011, 02:34 AM
I spent hours updating KragenBars for the changes to all of the classes represented. During that time I ran with KragenBars only and did not experience any crashes. However, when I activated BuffBars and did something as simple as attack the training dummy in Eyes & Guard Inn I crashed out. So I'm pretty confident that KragenBars isn't causing a crash. Which leads me back to my original assessment of the hook to the BackPack (I know both BuffBars and Travel hook to the backpack because I checked the code of each). Looks like Turbine might have broken that function even worse than before... at least before your LUA backpack was just inaccurate... now it looks like I completely kills LotRO.

Maybe if I get some time I'll try seeing if I can disable the backpack hook in BuffBars without killing the plugin altogether... then see if I still crash out. If not, then Pengoros won't have to change that much :)

D.H1cks
09-06-2011, 06:02 AM
Maybe if I get some time I'll try seeing if I can disable the backpack hook in BuffBars without killing the plugin altogether... then see if I still crash out. If not, then Pengoros won't have to change that much :)

This is easy to do in Travel, I only check for the number of rations a player has. It would be easy to find the CountRations() routine, and disable the access to the backpack there. I would check it myself, but don't have access to Bullroarer so I might have to wait until release.

Eili
09-06-2011, 11:45 AM
If this is possible and we can help while we are in beta, tell us just how to do it.

I am at your service to help for all those plugins you offered us

Valdacil
09-06-2011, 12:34 PM
This is easy to do in Travel, I only check for the number of rations a player has. It would be easy to find the CountRations() routine, and disable the access to the backpack there. I would check it myself, but don't have access to Bullroarer so I might have to wait until release.

I looked at the piece of code once before. Once I get done making the updates I need to KragenBars, maybe I'll look at Travel too and see if I can disable the Rations count to see if I get any crashes.

jasonspeed
09-06-2011, 05:46 PM

I miss my travel window. Is it something that I can disable to test it for you. I have no experience making a plug in so I wouldn't know where to find the routine to disable.

I know it's not all plugins because Combat Analysis still works. I want Buff Bars to work too but it kind of defeats the purpose if you can't add potions.

Valdacil
09-06-2011, 08:05 PM
I miss my travel window. Is it something that I can disable to test it for you. I have no experience making a plug in so I wouldn't know where to find the routine to disable.

I know it's not all plugins because Combat Analysis still works. I want Buff Bars to work too but it kind of defeats the purpose if you can't add potions.

I don't think BuffBars uses the backpack to actually get the potions because you still have to drag them into the quickslot. The function in BuffBars that calls the backpack is in CoolDownHelper (or something like that... going off memory). So I'm guessing it looks at the item in the backpack to determine the potion's cooldown, maybe?? Not sure until I look at it... but if that is the case, then disabling it may just mean that CD's don't show right.

Since beta is offline for a day or two I can't look at it now. But I think I finished up what I needed to for KragenBars minus some testing and tweaks. I'll take a look at both BuffBars and Travel on Thurs/Friday when Bullroarer is back online.

Sundown
09-08-2011, 05:54 PM
I am also playing in Beta and am having a similar issue with the plug ins. I use the Manager, Tonic Bars and Buff Bars.

Valdacil
09-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Ok, I feel pretty confident that my original assumption was correct:

I disabled the entire function that checks the backpack out of Travel and the reference to that function. Then I played with just KragenBars and Travel enabled for about 30-40 minutes without a crash; looting a ton of stuff as I killed anything that moved. Then I enabled an un-edited BuffBars and crashed about 8 loots in.

magill
09-14-2011, 10:47 PM
It appears that today's patch (Wednesday 14 September) "fixed" the Lua interface issue (although no mention was made in the release notes) ... at least I managed to play after the patch for 4 hours with my primary plugins enabled for my RK doing assorted questing, mob looting and node farming... and no crashes.... previously I was only getting abut 20-30 minutes before a crash ... only time will tell.

Manager/Buff Bars/Tonic Bars/Travel

jasonspeed
09-15-2011, 07:21 PM
I just ran Attack at Dawn skirmish to see if I still crash and sure enough I crashed about 5 minutes in after looting a Lt.

Here's my running plugins.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5839/pluglx.jpg

magill
09-17-2011, 01:29 PM
It appears that the "GetBackPack()" call identified by Valdacil "might" be fixed.
I managed to get on briefly Thursday before RL intervened... got in another 2 hours without a crash. (Manager/Tonic Bars/Buff Bars/Mount Carousel HD). But only just now RL let me get back on....

I notice that Friday I missed Turbine's End of Beta announcement (Beta ends Monday the 19th) and event.

I can see that Jasonspeed's problem could be related to the "other" major change in Lua interface -- the Chat interface, which I'm guessing is what CombatAnalysis uses.

However, since there has been no Lua "release note" update or mention in the B4 release notes... we won't know till the game goes live.

Hopefully Narrel will release the Lua interface information BEFORE the 27th to allow folks to look at the issues.

As I recall, the last major Lua update which broke all the Plugins did NOT result in client crashes.... only failures of the Plugins.

I suspect we'll just have to keep an eye out on the download site for the API docs... and hope we get a notification of the update.

jasonspeed
09-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Update...

I turned off Combat Analysis and was able to play for hours without crashing. Which is odd because before the B4 patch, CA was one of the plugins that didn't crash me.

Almagnus1
09-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Since CA works off of using a lot of loads of plugin data.... I wonder if there's not something in there...

That would explain why IoF is rock solid, yet Tobii keeps crashing, because Tobii saves fairly frequently (something I'm going to look into again once RoI goes live).

Edit:
Probably a red herring, looked back at the Tobii code, it's saving smartly, and only loading once. It had been a long while since I had looked at that part of the code, so was fuzzy on what it did.

But, IoF was rock solid through an IoF T2 run, yet Tobii would kill the client, and none of the plugins that I wrote to hammer the inventory API could force a crash to occur.

D.H1cks
09-26-2011, 08:31 PM
It appears that the "GetBackPack()" call identified by Valdacil "might" be fixed.
I managed to get on briefly Thursday before RL intervened... got in another 2 hours without a crash. (Manager/Tonic Bars/Buff Bars/Mount Carousel HD). But only just now RL let me get back on....

I notice that Friday I missed Turbine's End of Beta announcement (Beta ends Monday the 19th) and event.

I can see that Jasonspeed's problem could be related to the "other" major change in Lua interface -- the Chat interface, which I'm guessing is what CombatAnalysis uses.

However, since there has been no Lua "release note" update or mention in the B4 release notes... we won't know till the game goes live.

Hopefully Narrel will release the Lua interface information BEFORE the 27th to allow folks to look at the issues.

As I recall, the last major Lua update which broke all the Plugins did NOT result in client crashes.... only failures of the Plugins.

I suspect we'll just have to keep an eye out on the download site for the API docs... and hope we get a notification of the update.

I am getting reports that Travel is still causing client crashes, so I have released a new version that bypasses the backpack stuff. Hope that fixes it.

Kind of sad that I need to disable functionality just to keep the client from crashing though.

Kalex
09-27-2011, 12:12 AM
Still seeing crashes with buffbars and tonicbars enabled.

Eili
09-27-2011, 12:36 AM
I am getting reports that Travel is still causing client crashes, so I have released a new version that bypasses the backpack stuff. Hope that fixes it.

Kind of sad that I need to disable functionality just to keep the client from crashing though.

Well i am using Travel (old version). My hunter until now after 3 hours did not crashed once.

I have Bevy2 Songbook and Lotropad.

I am on Windows xp

---Update : 5 hours and finally 1 crash . I will so use the new version

Mahalikii
09-27-2011, 03:38 AM
I just want to confirm that I was indeed crashing regularly with both Palantir and Buffbars running. I am now running smoothly with Kragenbars (and Lotropad).

Koios
09-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Yup, confirmed... BuffBars hasn't seen an update yet so until then, nobody should be using it unless they don't mind frequent client crashes.

I'm currently running Bootstrap, Baruk (I LOVE IT!!), LIP, Compendium, AltTracker, MouseCursorHA, LotroPad and probably one or two more that I'm forgetting about - all without a single hitch :)

I miss BuffBars though :(

stryker84
09-27-2011, 06:53 AM
any issues with tonic bars?

Kalex
09-27-2011, 07:03 AM
yes, if you have anything with an counter on it, i.e. food, scrolls, or potions, TonicBars will cause crashes.

D.H1cks
09-27-2011, 01:09 PM
We got confirmation from Narrel that Item Interaction has an issue that could cause a crash.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?421815-WARNING-if-you-use-plugins-disable-them-especially-Buffbars-Palantir-and-others)&p=5718731#post5718731

Valdacil
09-27-2011, 02:16 PM
We got confirmation from Narrel that Item Interaction has an issue that could cause a crash.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?421815-WARNING-if-you-use-plugins-disable-them-especially-Buffbars-Palantir-and-others)&p=5718731#post5718731

Finally a response from Turbine and a confirmation :) Ball is in their court now. Guess I'll have to disable BuffBars for a while. Hopefully, this doesn't end up like the previous backpack bug (the disappearing items one), that was never resolved.

unclecid
09-27-2011, 04:45 PM
http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info606-IsengardUISkinningPackUpdate.html

just thought you all might wanna know that narrel added this to day!!!!!

bah..wrong thread, my bad

Digital_Utopia
09-28-2011, 05:11 AM
I just want to confirm that I was indeed crashing regularly with both Palantir and Buffbars running. I am now running smoothly with Kragenbars (and Lotropad).

Palantir will only cause the client to CTD if you have curable support enabled, and attempt to use an inventory item from a curable slot. So, for instance - using a poison pot will cause a CTD, while using the Cure Poison skill will not.

Due to this, I recommend that anybody who wishes to use Palantir, remove all inventory items from the curable slots until Turbine releases a patch to fix this bug. Doing this, or even changing the display mode to "Indicators Only" should remove any chance of Palantir causing a CTD situation.

Eili
09-28-2011, 09:40 AM
I am using actually Bevy2 plugins, and i use my pots and traps items from inventory with it without any crash so far.

I confirm that using Bevy2 and accessing pots that are in my inventory through Bevy2 does not crash to client.

For all my characters i have my pots, food, some weapons, traps, outfit on bar made by Bevy2 and using those does not crash me

TristanLawksley
09-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I am using actually Bevy2 plugins, and i use my pots and traps items from inventory with it without any crash so far.

I confirm that using Bevy2 and accessing pots that are in my inventory through Bevy2 does not crash to client.

For all my characters i have my pots, food, some weapons, traps, outfit on bar made by Bevy2 and using those does not crash me

I can confirm the potion access through the Bevy2 bars also. So far I've had no issues...

On the other hand, I'm getting random crashes to desktop. In battle, harvesting, riding, repairing, selling, standing around... it doesn't seem to matter what it is I'm doing, but it seems to happen roughly every 20 minutes or so. My wife's client on the other hand, with no plugins ( Exact plugins I use. ) loaded didn't seem to have the same issues ( Same computer, down to the graphics card, drivers, OS, et cetera. ).

Outside of those issues, I've also had some of my ballads disappear from my bars after crashes to desktop.

Plugins
Align
BevyOBars2
Bootstrap
BusyBee
Compendium
MoorMap

magill
09-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Posted as part of "Known Issues" ...

"Known Issues for Rise of Isengard - Updated: 9-28-11"

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?421508-Known-Issues-for-Rise-of-Isengard-Updated-9-28-11

Plugins that call the inventory will cause the LOTRO client to crash. Disabling these plugins will let the client run normally.

Eili
09-29-2011, 05:10 AM
Posted as part of "Known Issues" ...

"Known Issues for Rise of Isengard - Updated: 9-28-11"

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?421508-Known-Issues-for-Rise-of-Isengard-Updated-9-28-11

Plugins that call the inventory will cause the LOTRO client to crash. Disabling these plugins will let the client run normally.

May be Bevy2 is programmed differently, because whatever i do with my pots, i never crashed (cure heal power, food, traps, and whatever)

Valdacil
09-29-2011, 12:47 PM
May be Bevy2 is programmed differently, because whatever i do with my pots, i never crashed (cure heal power, food, traps, and whatever)

Previous version of Bevy did not actually 'call' the backpack although you could put items from your inventory on the bars. I assume that Bevy2 is the same. However, the plugins that were exhibitting the problem (like BuffBars) had a function in them that called the backpack (Getplayer.Getbackpack()); the "Known Issues" is saying that the problem is with this call specifically. So if the plugin doesn't use this call it should be safe.