PDA

View Full Version : Possible to do an action bar plugin like Dominos?

Oliner
12-25-2010, 02:42 AM
I played WOW extensively and got very used to using an addon there called Dominos. It really let me configure my action bars (main action bar + quickslots in LOTRO) exactly the way I wanted. But I've not seen any mods yet that do similar things.

Is there a limitation in LOTRO's LUA that prevents managing keybindings to action bars or something?

I am just curious if mods like Dominos will ever be possible in LOTRO or not.

MrJackdaw
12-25-2010, 03:44 AM
Action bars, yes. Bevy o' Bars (Shameless self promotion :) ) and Tonic Bars ( Nuclear Tonics work is fab) both give you customisable action bars. Key Bindings... not yet. They have not opened that up to us - and I suspect they aren't going to. We will just have to wait and see!

daimon
12-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Key Bindings... not yet. They have not opened that up to us - and I suspect they aren't going to. We will just have to wait and see!

Too bad if they wont because the bar plugins are basically useless in game-play for the people who do use keybindings instead clickies. it's too important feature to let go even with all the benefits the bar mods offer :/

(i'm just saying this once more again if Narr/Agi/team happens to read this ;) )

well.. luckily the bar mods have other uses as well than just using them in combat :)

Digital_Utopia
01-05-2011, 10:40 AM
It's really too early to say what Turbine will, or won't allow. Regrettably it may be due to issues relating to how Lua is implemented in LotRO, as opposed to WoW, but the only real thing Turbine has said about how far they will or won't go, is that they won't allow it to trivialize content.

Of course, "trivialize content" is open to interpretation - but my personal interpretation of it is more relating to making "slowdown" content too easy, as opposed to making the game itself easy.

For instance, being able to click a single button repeatedly to play through solo content would just make the game itself easy, making it so all an entire fellowship or raid had to do to win is to click a single button repeatedly - would trivialize content.

I would like to believe that their goal is to make all information currently available to the player, available through the API. Which if we're comparing to WoW, is noticeably less already. For instance, all threat information is completely hidden from the player in LotRO, while mousing over a mob in WoW, will show you the percentage of threat you have - right in the tooltip. Another example is that in LotRO, the only way to know what a mob is casting is through experience, and visual cues (i.e. their animation, their speech bubble, etc.) in WoW, it shows the casting bar for the mob - as well as the name of the spell. So with just those two examples - there's some pretty substantial information not available to LotRO players outside of Lua. With that in mind, I think Turbine has a lot of wiggle room to make content challenging - even if they gave us every piece of data already available to us in the game itself, in the API.