lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Requests (L)

Unread 09-28-2011, 02:51 AM
The Wary

ROI Changes to Plugin Abilities?

I read the release notes and they mentioned something about changing some of the things that plugins use. What changes did they do exactly? Does anyone know what (if any) new things that these changes will allow plugins to do?

I was really hoping for a plugin that could display the remaining time countdown for "writ of health" next to each fellowship member that you cast it on.

From what I understand, we currently do not have the ability to do that but I was wondering if any of the RoI changes would allow plugins to now do this.

I am kinda new to plugins but I was excited to see that RoI was doing something with LUA scripting and plugins. Wondering if this opens some new possibilities. (No I really don't know what LUA scripting is but I'm gonna research it.)
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:03 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Send a message via MSN to Digital_Utopia Send a message via Yahoo to Digital_Utopia
The changes boil down to the following:
  • Ability to read from the chat panel (with filter support)
  • Ability to access fellowship member vitals (no raid support yet)
  • Ability to access the context menu from the player portrait
  • Ability to access the items that the player currently has equipped
  • Ability to create a new element that works like an equipment slot

If I'm correct, and effect information is available for fellowship members, and writ of health produces an effect, that should be possible. if either one of those are false - it would be difficult to pull off reliably.

Lord of the Rings Online
75 Fourohfour | 75 Artemedis | 60 Whiskeytango Foxtrot | 50 Mistah Boombastic | 56 Appetizer | 25 Aggromi
61 Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts

World of Warcraft
90 Downlo 85 Gravetaxi 85 Ümad 85 Artemedis 85 Guthuros
Unread 09-30-2011, 12:42 PM
The Undying

No release notes have yet been posted

The actual release notes for the Lua Interface in ROI have NOT been posted.

What you read were the BETA Release notes (which I posted) ... which are EXTREMELY sketchy and incomplete.

Unless he has just posted them in the past hour or two, Narrel has not yet posted the new/updated Lua Documentation ... nor have I found any comments on WHAT (if anything) was fixed in this morning's (30 September) patch. [Note that he did post the Skinning update on this site the other evening.]

A number of individuals have "reverse engineered" the changes in ROI based on the incomplete description from the Beta, and they are "probably" correct. But until the actual updated documentation is posted, we won't know.

Similarly, unless it was fixed this morning, an important aspect of the Lua interface was broken when the "Lua update" was inserted into ROI during the beta. I don't know why it took Turbine several days after ROI's live release to acknowledge there was a bug when several of us bugged it virtually immediately after the Lua changes were made. Sigh... hopefully we'll get an update this weekend.

Please keep your eyes pealed for any "twits" or "Facebook posts" as that seems to be Sapience and Calesstra's preferred way of communicating these days. (The NDA was lifted in a Twit post almost a month before it was posted in the Live Game Forum... No one ever posted any comments on it in the Beta Forums.)
Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (118)
Valanne - Beorning (105)
Valhad - Elf LM (65)
Valkeeper - Elf RK (85)
Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (68)
Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
All about the fun!"

Unread 09-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by magill
The actual release notes for the Lua Interface in ROI have NOT been posted.

What you read were the BETA Release notes (which I posted) ... which are EXTREMELY sketchy and incomplete.

Unless he has just posted them in the past hour or two, Narrel has not yet posted the new/updated Lua Documentation ... nor have I found any comments on WHAT (if anything) was fixed in this morning's (30 September) patch. [Note that he did post the Skinning update on this site the other evening.]

A number of individuals have "reverse engineered" the changes in ROI based on the incomplete description from the Beta, and they are "probably" correct. But until the actual updated documentation is posted, we won't know.

Similarly, unless it was fixed this morning, an important aspect of the Lua interface was broken when the "Lua update" was inserted into ROI during the beta. I don't know why it took Turbine several days after ROI's live release to acknowledge there was a bug when several of us bugged it virtually immediately after the Lua changes were made. Sigh... hopefully we'll get an update this weekend.

Please keep your eyes pealed for any "twits" or "Facebook posts" as that seems to be Sapience and Calesstra's preferred way of communicating these days. (The NDA was lifted in a Twit post almost a month before it was posted in the Live Game Forum... No one ever posted any comments on it in the Beta Forums.)
The LUA changes were posted on the Turbine Forums and on the RoI Beta Forums which are now gone.

Also there was NO patch today. Only server Reboot. Again this was posted on the forums, twitter and facebook.
Unread 09-30-2011, 03:09 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotovoltaicCell
Does anyone know what (if any) new things that these changes will allow plugins to do?
The biggest change is probably the Chat access since it allows multi-player interactive plugins. Possible uses for plugins includes loot rolling (RaidRolls uses this), alerts (Alerter uses this), a user developed LFF plugin (one is in the works but not yet available as a beta), interactive plugins (the Cards game will have it's first multi-player version available soon). And of course, dozens of other really cool possible options (I was thinking of adding the ability for a user to tell another user where they are and add a 'Ping' for that location on MoorMap - you wouldn't even have to be grouped for someone to share their location or even maybe an annotation's location, lots of potential there )

The read access to the Equipped Items will allow for plugins like AltInventory to track your equipped items. The new Equipment Slot will allow for building custom Character Panels (there was a lot of negative feedback on the revamped design of the character panel, especially the layout of the items) although the rendered character view won't be available to the plugins.

The fellowship acces will allow for custom vitals displays, fellowship wide automated warnings for low health or special conditions like curable poisons/wounds/disease, etc.

I'm not real sure about uses for the context menu. But I'm sure there will be some things it will enhance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia
The changes boil down to the following:
  • Ability to read from the chat panel (with filter support)
  • Ability to access fellowship member vitals (no raid support yet)
  • Ability to access the context menu from the player portrait
  • Ability to access the items that the player currently has equipped
  • Ability to create a new element that works like an equipment slot
One minor clarification, you don't have full access to the equipped items, only read access. For instance, we can unequip an item programatically by dropping it in the Backpack but we can't equip items programatically since we can't drop to the Equipment object.