lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > General Authoring Discussion (L)

Unread 05-28-2013, 02:32 PM
The Undefeated

Have an idea for an immersion plugin, but is it possible to...

I have an idea for an immersion plugin, to reduce the clutter of the UI, but I wonder if it is possible at all..

Is it possible via plugin / LUA to show/hide windows based on some conditions?

Can you change the opacity of windows programatically (to do a smoother show/hide transition)?

When a plugin tracks skills usage, do they use the chat window text as a work around or are you able to subscribe to events?

Can you track things such as:
- mounting/"unmounting" a horse?
- running/standing still?
- casting any specific skill?
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:48 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecirbaf
I have an idea for an immersion plugin, to reduce the clutter of the UI, but I wonder if it is possible at all..

Is it possible via plugin / LUA to show/hide windows based on some conditions?

Can you change the opacity of windows programatically (to do a smoother show/hide transition)?

When a plugin tracks skills usage, do they use the chat window text as a work around or are you able to subscribe to events?

Can you track things such as:
- mounting/"unmounting" a horse?
- running/standing still?
- casting any specific skill?
Short answer, no.

Long answer: The Lua API is EXTREMELY limited. The only built-in UI elements we can override are the bags and vitals display. We have no access to movement, including running/standing still. We can sort of access mounting/unmounting as an Action (event) and then test the existance of a standard mount or a combat mount to determine state and would require a chat monitor to detect being dismounted as a result of combat, entering water, etc so it's a bit of a hassle. The skill API has been tied to some client crashes although I suspect that might have more to do with authors failing to remove event handlers but I don't use the skill API so I'm not sure.
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:53 PM
The Undefeated

Thank you I kind of suspected it was the case :/

Another idea I've had, purely on the UI skinning side, is to add subtle drop shadows around some windows. Are you aware if there is a limitation for that?

I've seen some rounded corners in some windows, and figured if those use images with an alpha channel, then maybe we can add a drop shadow effect?