lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Requests (L)

Unread 09-20-2015, 02:36 AM
The Undefeated
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I'm new... :)

Hi, ok so I am new to modding LOTRO UIs/skins but am fast finding it addictive. Also there are lots of UI's here I would update if I knew how. I am pretty much devoid of scripting knowledge so where should I start? Although I managed to put together one UI compilation although it was pretty much just copy/paste with a bit of photo editing.
Unread 09-20-2015, 05:50 AM
The Undying

I'm only a dabbler in UI skinning (I don't have the artistic talent for it), but here is my understanding of the process:

1. Get the official U14 skinning pack, which is the latest one that has been released by Turbine.

2. Take the SkinDefinition.xml file and remove all of the lines for images that you do not wish to change. This file should contain only the things you want to change about the UI, not the things you want to keep the same.

3. Edit the .tga files as desired, using Photoshop or GIMP. Remove any .tga files you don't want to modify. Your skin only needs to contain the .tga files that are different from the defaults.

4. To change the size and positioning of things, you need to find the appropriate section in the SkinDictionary.txt file, and copy+paste it into your SkinDefinition.xml file, then modify it as desired.

5. Ask Adra.
Unread 09-20-2015, 12:30 PM
The Undefeated

Thanks a ton this is awesome!

Thanks for all the info, it's gonna be great fun doing this. But I have one other question. It is alright to "fiddle" with things within a UI? Like if I accidentally mess up a UI code is it going to magically corrupt my entire game, resulting in having to re-install lotro and my computer almost blowing up? Ok the blowing up thing was a joke but you know what I mean. And I am actually right the opposite of you, I am great at the artistic part but the coding/technical part is terrifying to me. I know this is odd but maybe we could work together on somethings? Anyway thanks for all your help.

Last edited by Emie937 : 09-20-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Unread 09-20-2015, 09:45 PM
The Undying

If you mess something up in your UI skin, you can always go back to the default UI skin ("None") in the game. But nothing catastrophic can happen.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions that I can answer.
Unread 09-20-2015, 11:00 PM
The Undefeated

:)

Thanks, I'll be sure to remember that. And I'm glad that I can fiddle with the code to get things right without having to worry about corrupting my game.