lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > Tutorials & Other Helpful Information (L)

Unread 06-02-2010, 08:14 PM
The Undying

ArtAsset list or something similar?

I am completely new an skinning and to LotRO in general..and I am trying to modify a skin but it is really hard to find the appropriate tags.

Is there a list and or a graphical list showing which items are what?

Current I am looking for the up arrow that opens the main menu. I looked in two skins but they seemed to be conflicting. In one skin main_menu_normal was the button I am referring to..however in another skin that same entry changed a different image..which I don't understand at all..

Confused!
Unread 06-03-2010, 05:51 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Go to http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/cat5.html
And download the latest UI Skin Art pack (there's also other interesting stuff there, but many are getting outdated as we speak).

In that file you can find all the things we can edit. The file includes all the original .tga files and Skindefinition.xml which have the corresponding ArtAsset tags plus SkinDictionary.txt that includes most of the panel code.

Best way to find out what image goes with what tag is to browse the images in an image browser (like FastStone IV) and compare the titles.

For coding Notepad++ is a pretty good proggy because if supports color coding and thus making things a bit more easier to edit.
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:56 AM
The Undying

Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I did last night...albeit a reaaally slow process. There are just too many images.

I did find the one I was looking for though.

Baby steps, hehe. Now if I could just figure out what in the xml file is for the spacing on the XP bar image..
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:10 AM
The Undying

xp bar is one of the rare artassests that they won't us to have access for some reason. You can edit the size of the xp bar but not the graphics I'm afraid.
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:43 AM
The Undying

Ahh the size..maybe thats it..this UI Im using has it shrunk really small..but the didn't mention that in the install. That might solve my problem..hopfully.

edit://

Hmm..well it wasn't that. Im using that one posted on the recent ones, the Black Minimal one..and on his he has the XP bar really small in the middle of the screen..on mine its way left of there..can't figure out why..maybe I should post a shot.

Are you saying you can't MOVE the XP bar either? I see where I can resize the "toolbar" but not just the XP bar...am I missing it?

Last edited by NewYears1978 : 06-03-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Unread 06-03-2010, 01:49 PM
The Undying

Daimon says you cannot skin the XP bar, but you can move the XP bar.

I use the following code to move and resize the XP bar:

Code:

<Element ID="LevelMeter" X="10" Y="161" Width="840" Height="30">
  <Element ID="LevelMeterFill" X="0" Y="24" Width="840" Height="6">
    <Element ID="LevelMeter_BonusMeter" X="0" Y="0" Width="840" Height="6"></Element>
  </Element>
  <Element ID="ToolbarButton_LevelUpXP_TutorialHighlight" X="0" Y="10" Width="412" Height="10"></Element>
  <Element ID="ToolbarButton_Experience_TutorialHighlight" X="0" Y="10" Width="412" Height="10"></Element>
  <Element ID="LevelMeterText" X="10" Y="23" Width="840" Height="10"></Element>
</Element>
Maybe that's what you needed?

Cheers,
Ray
Unread 06-03-2010, 02:09 PM
The Undying

Yes this is what I needed, thank you!

Question, if I put this code above at the bottom of the XML file does it override any of the previous same entries...or do I have to remove those entries first?

Last edited by NewYears1978 : 06-03-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Unread 06-03-2010, 02:40 PM
The Undying

Good question. Dunno. Save your old skindef file as .org and try with and without the old code :P

Just take a look in other authors skindefinition files when you can't find the appropriate code to move something. That's what I did as well ;-)
Or look in the skindictionary (can't find link atm)
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:19 PM
The Undying

I haven't look how the skin you're talking about is coded but in theory the xp bar should stay inside the mainbar if you edit it by code. did you remember to relog after you installed the skin in question ?

And if you have identical entries in the code the ones that appear first in the file gets loaded, meaning you should apply the new code at the beginning of the file.

However you can't break xml heritage, meaning the parent and child tags needs to be in their correct order to get the code working.

ie you can't just add
Code:
<element> naanaa
 <element> nana2</element>
</element>
at the start. you need the whole stuff for that specific part of the code:
Code:
<panelfile> panelthing
 <element> laalaa
  <element> naanaa
   <element> nana2</element>
  </element>
 </element>
</panelfile>
you can leave out the child tags you don't need though, but the parent tags need to be there.

but the above examples are just some advanced stuff you don't need to concern about, only if you start editing the code further it helps.

In you case if the xp bar really is way over the left side i'd try to edit the Y value of ID="LevelMeter" and see what happens.

Remember to launch the game again everytime you make changes into SkinDefinition.xml or the changes won't take effect (relogging isn't enough then).
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:49 PM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
Daimon says you cannot skin the XP bar, but you can move the XP bar.
You can skin the outside of the XP bar editing the letterbox_bottom pic

Here's the entry:
Code:
<Mapping ArtAssetID="letterbox_bottom" FileName="..\Graphics\letterbox_bottom.tga"></Mapping>
You can also resize it and move it where you want to. The only thing is if you want to move it far away from the bottom of the screen you have to set the screen width and height up to the screen resolution size. Like I do for my UI:
Code:
<Element ID="ToolbarField" X="0" Y="0" Width="1024" Height="768" Detach="1">