lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Help (L)

Unread 11-19-2013, 04:11 PM
The Undefeated
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Changing channel colors with lua?

Just a short question: Is it possible to change the color of a channel with a plugin? I'm asking because in the german/french client the colors of the chat will be saved in the layout file (/ui layout save), but they won't load (/ui layout load). So my idea is a small plugin where you can save your current settings and transfer them to your other toons (by loading / running the plugin with your alternate toons). Is this possible?
Unread 11-19-2013, 08:22 PM
The Undying

short answer: No

longer answer:
We can force text that the plugin sends to be displayed in specific colors overriding the recipient's channels but we can not override the current user's chat window settings. That is, if the plugin has a quickslot that contains data of type Alias then the text will be sent when the user clicks and that text can contain color formatting. What you want to do is set the color of incomming chat messages and is not possible via Lua.
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:39 AM
The Undefeated

Ok, thx for the quick answer.
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:54 AM
The Undying

You're welcome. I just wish I didn't have to answer 'no' to so many good ideas Unfortunately, it appears as though there have been no updates to Lua with Helms Deep, not even bug fixes, so I'm not sure the devs that were donating their time for Lua development are even still working for Turbine (some of the skin developers still exist but that is a whole different critter).
EDIT: There are Lua changes, just nothing new, improved or fixed. The only changes were the removal of features that related to certain skills and stances.

Last edited by Garan : 11-20-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:17 AM
The Wary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garan
EDIT: There are Lua changes, just nothing new, improved or fixed. The only changes were the removal of features that related to certain skills and stances.
Are you referring to the most recent Helm's Deep Lua documentation update?
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:19 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbisson
Are you referring to the most recent Helm's Deep Lua documentation update?
I'm glad the documentation is finally more up to date but the features are not new. Plus there are still features that have existed for years and remain undocumented such as SetStretchMode.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that there's more up-to-date documentation for those that need it (Lua actually allows us to examine the API so the docs aren't all that critical) but that doesn't qualify as an update to the actual API. I am curious whether Snowlight is one of the Turbine Devs or a member of the Turbine Community Support Team. It would be nice to know that there are still devs contributing their time and that an actual update to the API is still expected.
Unread 11-26-2013, 02:09 PM
The Undying

This article about the instance finder: http://www.lotrolife.com/news_full/l...nder-faq/2460/ seems to indicate that "snowlight" is in the 'engineering' team.
Unread 05-22-2014, 03:39 AM
The Wary

I thinks yes you can change the color according to but not sure about it..

online slots

Last edited by robinthompson : 05-23-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Unread 05-22-2014, 07:08 AM
The Undefeated

This snippet of code should work to write a message to the chat in a specified color:

Code:
function WriteTextColor(color, text)
Turbine.Chat.WriteLine(string.format("<rgb=%s>%s</rgb>", color, text))
end

-- Usage:
WriteTextColor("#FFFFFF", "Hello, world!")
-- Make sure to provide the first argument as a hex string representing the color
EDIT: Whoops, didn't notice that you said 'channel' - I was thinking chat in general then. :P
Unread 05-22-2014, 10:37 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garan
You're welcome. I just wish I didn't have to answer 'no' to so many good ideas Unfortunately, it appears as though there have been no updates to Lua with Helms Deep, not even bug fixes, so I'm not sure the devs that were donating their time for Lua development are even still working for Turbine (some of the skin developers still exist but that is a whole different critter).
They actually broke some things as well... the gambit skillinfo used to allow you to get the gambit builder sequence but now it just returns nil (or just an error, can't remember anymore) and if you do gambit:GetGambitCount() which should return the number of gambit builders in the sequence, it always returns 0. I assume these two bugs are related.