lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > General Authoring Discussion (L)

Unread 09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
The Wary
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Mysterious Resizing Portrait

I have a single user reporting an issue with the Eorlingas player vitals. Every time he zones the player portrait gets just a little bit bigger. I can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening to him, why it only seems to be him, and only with Eorlingas.

Here's the AvatarPanel code:

Code:
	<PanelFile ID="ID_UISkin_AvatarPanel">
		<Element ID="AvatarPanel" X="2" Y="2" Width="274" Height="176">
			<Element ID="VitalsParent" X="0" Y="20" Width="274" Height="156">
				<Element ID="VitalsBg" X="88" Y="42" Width="175" Height="27"></Element>
				<Element ID="VitalsField" X="96" Y="34" Width="168" Height="42"></Element>
				<Element ID="AvatarPanel_BG" X="-1" Y="1" Width="273" Height="105"></Element>
				<Element ID="PlayerPortrait" X="21" Y="21" Width="64" Height="64"></Element>
				<Element ID="PlayerVitals_Animations" X="2" Y="0" Width="277" Height="104"></Element>
				<Element ID="AvatarPanel_COVER_LOWRES" X="22" Y="21" Width="64" Height="62"></Element>
				<Element ID="PlayerLevel_BG" X="21" Y="78" Width="65" Height="32"></Element>
				<Element ID="PlayerLeaderIcon" X="74" Y="68" Width="16" Height="16"></Element>
				<Element ID="PlayerAssistantIcon" X="74" Y="68" Width="16" Height="16"></Element>
				<Element ID="PlayerVoiceChat" X="46" Y="6" Width="20" Height="20"></Element>			<!-- x71 to x46, y11 to y6-->
				<Element ID="PlayerVoiceChatSquelched" X="46" Y="6" Width="20" Height="20"></Element>	<!-- x71 to x46, y11 to y6-->
				<Element ID="PlayerSendingData" X="46" Y="6" Width="20" Height="20"></Element>			<!-- x71 to x46, y11 to y6-->
				<Element ID="PlayerName" X="97" Y="3" Width="176" Height="36"></Element>	<!-- x87 to y97-->
				<Element ID="PlayerEffectDisplay" X="92" Y="74" Width="169" Height="64"></Element>
				<Element ID="PlayerLevel" X="35" Y="83" Width="32" Height="17"></Element>	<!-- y84 to y83-->
				<Element ID="PlayerPVP_Info" X="-4" Y="-3" Width="34" Height="98">
					<Element ID="PlayerPVP_RankDisplay" X="2" Y="70" Width="32" Height="32"></Element>	<!-- y0 to y70-->
					<Element ID="PlayerPVP_PrestigeDisplay" X="0" Y="20" Width="34" Height="78"></Element>
				</Element>
			</Element>
		</Element>

</PanelFile>
The code specifically states that the portrait is to be 64x64 in size. So why on earth is the darned thing growing?

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Unread 09-30-2010, 10:31 AM
The Undying

There's nothing you can do about.

In same cases if users who use custom skins encounter that bug (I believe I've heard some even have it appear with the stock UI). There's no information what causes it. Personally I can only suspect hardware/driver related bug.
Unread 10-02-2010, 02:59 AM
The Wary

We figured out what causes it: This user had resized his character portrait in the UI settings. As soon as he set it back to the default size, the issue went away.

I suspect this bug appears when the UI scaling results in a fractional value. When the UI refreshes (such as when going through a door), the scaling gets applied and if the result is a fractional value the system bugs out a bit. The next time you zone, it adds the scaling factor on top of the previous one and continues to do so with each new zoning. The result is that the portrait's scale keeps getting thrown farther and farther off.

That's a guess, anyway.

Regardless, if you encounter someone with this issue just check to see if they have scaled the UI. That will probably prove to be the cause.
Unread 10-02-2010, 04:38 AM
The Undying

sounds logical yes

on the other hand I've heard this to happen even with the stock UI/no skin applied. Some users complain the portaits get bigger, for some they get smaller. Very good point about the scaling, I haven't asked about that from the persons who have encountered this.
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:20 AM
The Wary

If it's a bug in the core code it would make sense that it's happening regardless of whether a skin is being used or not.

The fact that it's only happening to the player portrait also makes sense. After all, that's the only 3D element that is on screen all the time. You can't maintain a target through zoning, so the target portrait isn't being affected because it's not present upon zone-in.

You said that for some people it's getting bigger and some smaller. This also fits the theory. With my guy it turned out that he had scaled the vitals larger and he was experiencing the portrait growing. I bet if you check with the ones for whom it was shrinking, it will turn out that they'd scaled the vitals down. If the scaling is being applied cumulatively with every zone-in, you would naturally see the portrait slowly shifting in the direction that the UI scale has set.

My person tested and discovered that it happens regardless of whether global UI scale is applied or just the vitals. The only thing really remaining to test is whether it happens when a scale amount is used that would result in a whole number rather than a fractional value. For example, 75% scale rather than 80%. If it happens with either value, then the engine just doesn't like scaled vitals. If it only happens with the latter value, then it comes down to fractional values.