lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Unread 05-15-2014, 02:45 AM
The Undefeated

Talking New Combat stats plugin

Hi all Trilesch here only been playing lotro for a bout 3 months now and realy enjoying the the game.

So let me start with why I am doing with this plugin. With the news that combat analysis has been pulled due to an exploit I have decied to write a new plugin that will hopefully replace combat analysis.

This plugin will do most of the same stuff but with a lot less bloat that i found with combat analysis and was not realy needed. Think of recount for wow and you might get an idea of what i want to do.

Also i am going to try and make sure that it can not be exploited in any way.

So fingers crossed in the next few weeks i will have a alpha version up and running. for ppl to bug test and report back.

cheers all.

Last edited by Trilesch : 05-15-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Unread 05-15-2014, 12:37 PM
The Undefeated
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Before we start (yes, we, OP and I are working on this together) - is there anything we should know about copyright licenses? Right now, we're licensing the code under the LGPL, but if the plugin were to be published, do we require something else or nothing at all?
Unread 05-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
LOTROInterface Admin

You can license it however you want. It's completely your choice.
Unread 05-15-2014, 02:10 PM
The Undefeated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairenn
You can license it however you want. It's completely your choice.
Okay, thanks.
Unread 05-15-2014, 03:38 PM
The Undying

If you guys make an efficient and complete chat log parser (the main guts of the Combat Analysis plugin) it would be nice if you'd upload it as a class to be used in other plugins.
Unread 05-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
LOTROInterface Admin

I forgot to say:

Also you can choose not to include a license in all, which means it would default to ARR.

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Unread 05-16-2014, 03:00 AM
The Undefeated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurallor
If you guys make an efficient and complete chat log parser (the main guts of the Combat Analysis plugin) it would be nice if you'd upload it as a class to be used in other plugins.
we will consider this.

also I have been speaking to my partner about other plugins that we can make and since lotro.data is no longer we have thought about making a plugin the pulls all the character info and saves it as a xml file to be uploaded to a website aswell and kinship info and such.
Unread 05-16-2014, 06:02 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilesch
also I have been speaking to my partner about other plugins that we can make and since lotro.data is no longer we have thought about making a plugin the pulls all the character info and saves it as a xml file to be uploaded to a website aswell and kinship info and such.
FWIW, I had already considered making AltInventory and AltViewer data available as a replacement for data.lotro but there are a number of significant issues. The biggest problem is the bug in GetEquipment that crashes the client which is also why AltViewer got sidelined and never updated - Narrel indicated that he will be working on some bug fixes, particularly focusing on crashes for a future update so there may be hope for a fix. The second biggest problem is preventing abuse of the upload mechanism (people purposely uploading bogus data to harass others) but I had already worked out a fairly good solution for that. The third issue is the lack of other data via the API such as kinship/quest/deed data - just providing basic character info like name, class and level isn't worth the effort. A fourth issue is the inability to derive an itemID programmatically which makes keeping track of item data more difficult and in some cases impossible atm - we've already requested that Narrel look into this but it may take quite a while before we see itemIDs in the API, if ever. The last major issue is that an external executable would have to be distributed to perform the actual uploads and that leads back to potential for malicious code.

Another concern is the lack of graphic resources (particularly item icons) - we used to be able to link to Turbine's site to display item icons and popup info but that source is no longer updated so any graphics would have to be hosted on the web server which would get into copyright issues (using a few icons could be considered fair use but hosting all item icons would definitely require written permission from Turbine which is unlikely to happen). Since Narrel indicated that some of the data.lotro functionality may get resurrected at some distant point in the future there may also be hope for a solution to this issue.

So, while it sounds like a nice idea, publishing character data isn't really feasible at this time.

I have also been working on a strictly local solution that would allow users to see their character info while off-line and supporting multiple accounts (Lua can't support characters from multiple accounts without using symbolic links and that messes up the per account "ALL" category)

Last edited by Garan : 05-16-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Unread 05-17-2014, 04:01 PM
The Undefeated

Okay, so the plugin's coming along nicely.
Just wondering, so I don't have to dump the environment, what standard libraries are available to Lua in plugins?

So far, I've discovered that practically all of the default functions are available (Not sure about newproxy, I haven't tried making userdata yet.) and the math, string and coroutine libraries are enabled. Anything else I should be aware of
Unread 05-26-2014, 05:21 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Okay, so the plugin's coming along nicely.
Just wondering, so I don't have to dump the environment, what standard libraries are available to Lua in plugins?

So far, I've discovered that practically all of the default functions are available (Not sure about newproxy, I haven't tried making userdata yet.) and the math, string and coroutine libraries are enabled. Anything else I should be aware of
As far as I know, packages, I/O and OS operations, and debug functions have been stripped. I don't think coroutines work either. So basically you have access to the basic (most of it), string, table and math libraries. Well, I've been checking that stuff a long time ago though. Anyway, you might want to check the global scope to see what's in there, I wrote a plugin that lets you do that within LotRO: http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...BeDragons.html