lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Help (L)

Unread 03-19-2012, 11:18 AM
The Wary

creating a "simple" plugin - help wanted

Hi all,

I'm looking to create a plugin, but would need some help on the matter.
First of all, I've read through the forums, downloaded and tried what I could but I'm an absolute disaster unfortunately.

I'm now looking for someone that would be able to help me create this plugin.
The plugin would be a language plugin for RP-ers. The idea I have is this. The plugin would consist of several dropdown lists. In these dropdown lists you select what you wish to translate... for instance.. you select verb (ex.: sit), personal form (ex.: he), condition (ex.: "on"), noun ( (the) chair),, etc... and this would translate to into a new sentence. When you are happy with it, you press "say" and the translated RP-language is shown in the text bar.

I believe this would be fairly simple for someone that has some knowledge on creating these kind of plugins. Any suggestions on how I need to proceed here ?

Cheers
Unread 03-19-2012, 04:12 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Well, the UI portion is fairly straight foward but you'd need to follow the rules for syntax and grammar of the chosen language which can get quite complicated. I know Tolkien covered some of his languages in depth while others he glossed over so finding correct rules might be the most difficult part of your project.

In terms of getting started writing Lua plugins, I might be a bit biased but I'd recommend the Writing LoTRO Lua Plugins for Noobs thread on the Turbine forums.

Last edited by Garan : 03-19-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Unread 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM
The Wary

Thank you for the information on this Garan, much appreciated.

What the language is concerned I see what you mean, but believe I have that part very well covered. I spend the last 2 months studying anything I could find on the topic of Khuzdul and created a tool in excel (over 50MB) that allows you to convert latin characters into cirth, translate english to (neo-) khuzdul following the language syntax, vocabulary listens, etc... . So on that part I believe I have it as well covered as I could. Hence I'm turning to those with experience on the matter of creating plugins, as honestly, I've tried and haven't succeeded.

I'll read through the documents again though and hope I see the light and finally get it

Cheers
Unread 03-20-2012, 01:27 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

What can help is looking at other peoples plugins and picking them apart. It sounds like something like Lyrical would be an ideal starting point for your work. I would offer, but my LUA holiday continues as I just enjoy playing my dwarf for a while!
Unread 03-20-2012, 01:45 AM
The Wary

right, no worries

well, if your dwarf ever feels the urge to learn the language Mahal created for him, think of me - otherwise believe there might be very little hope for me on this.

thanks anyway!