lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > Graphics modification help (L)

Unread 08-23-2008, 09:37 PM
The Wary

Gimp image pasting

So, I'm new to the whole skinning thing but have some general knowledge with simple coding. I'm terrible at images and was wondering if it's possible to simply use a working image and cut the old image off a layer and copy a new image onto the layer as to avoid having to play with alpha channels as after 2 weeks I still can't grasp this concept.

Any help would be great on this.

Great site and forums, you guys and girls definetely sucked me into this thing and I'm determined to figure this out even if my brain explodes
Unread 08-24-2008, 01:38 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Send a message via MSN to Supermax
Lol, I think at one point all of our brains have exploded... i think it's inevitable.

So let me get this straight, you're wondering if you can:
-Take an existing image and replace the layer without changing the alpha channels to accommodate new shapes/sizes.
-Keep existing properties of the default image just change the picture.

Yes you can, in theory, although I don't know how affective it would be. If you choose to keep all the same shapes, sizes then yes you definitely can. But the existing User Interface is clumsy, and poorly assembled (sorry Turbine.) Alpha channels are actually quite easy once you get the hang of them.

When a selected Alpha Channel is visible, all that is white will be seen in game, and black will not. What I like to do to achieve a simple alpha channel is:

-After I have completed the image, I save as a xxxx.psd (photoshop) as well as a xxxx.tga.
-Keeping the xxxx.psd open, I open the xxxx.tga I just saved.
-In a standard scenario I will use the magic wand to select everything I don't want to have visible in game on the xxxx.tga image. (Keep in mind that both xxxx.psd and xxxx.tga are the same image, only the xxxx.tga has been flattened to only 1 layer.)
-After the selection is made, you will need to invert the selection (top menu Select>Inverse.) You'll notice that the rest of your image is selected (what will be visible in game.)
-Now go to the top menu and click Select>Save Selection. It will open up a new window. Name the new channel you are creating 'Alpha Channel'.
-Your alpha channel is now created. It's located in the same window as your Layers although instead of being listed under the Layers tab it's listed under the Channels tab.
-So go back to xxxx.psd (the file with all your layers) and click on the channels tab. Channels tab has the info available for the RGB etc.
-Go back to xxxx.tga and drag the alpha channel you just created into the canvas (window) of xxxx.psd.
-Make sure that the alpha channel you just created is the only alpha channel in the channel list (excluding RGB, R, G, and B)
-Done, you have the alpha channel you just created in your master xxxx.psd file. You can now save your xxxx.psd as a .tga which will be used in game.

Hope this helps guy. Feel free to ask questions.
Unread 08-24-2008, 09:01 PM
The Wary

Ah I got it. Thank you for the step by step directions.

If I may ask one more question:

In the skindefinition file, how do I close out the code? Is it </Element></opt>?
I can't seem to get the UI to show up in the list of skins.

Here's what I got to show just the bottom bar image

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<opt>
<SkinName Name="Nazgul"></SkinName>

<Mapping ArtAssetID="LetterBoxBottom"FileName=" nazgul_bottom_bar_graphic.tga"></Mapping>

<PanelFile ID="toolbar">
<Element ID="ToolbarField" X="7.5" Y="630" Width="1009" Height="138" Detach="1">
<Element ID="ToolbarFieldMain" X="0" Y="0" Width="1009" Height="138" />
</Element>
</opt>
Unread 08-24-2008, 11:00 PM
The Undying

No problem dude.

The Code starts with <opt>
the next is ...
<PanelFile ID> which ends with </PanelFile>
and inside those panels are elements which start with ...
<Element ID> and end with </Element>
and then you end it all with ...
</opt> (... how you started)

So, highlighted in red is what you'll need to input into your code for it to work

Quote:
<PanelFile ID="toolbar">
<Element ID="ToolbarField" X="7.5" Y="630" Width="1009" Height="138" Detach="1">
<Element ID="ToolbarFieldMain" X="0" Y="0" Width="1009" Height="138" />
</Element>
</PanelFile>
</opt>
Glad I could help.

Just to let you know, Turbine is doing a complete rework of the UI for Mines of Moria. So, I've paused my modding for the time being. That said, don't stop modding for yourself. You'll have your gears in motion for when the expansion is released.

Any other questions feel free to post here or send me IMs

Last edited by Supermax : 08-24-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Unread 08-25-2008, 02:51 PM
The Undying

Also I just noticed that you'll need to get rid of that space between =" and nazgul:
Quote:
<Mapping ArtAssetID="LetterBoxBottom"FileName=" nazgul_bottom_bar_graphic.tga"></Mapping>
should be

Quote:
<Mapping ArtAssetID="LetterBoxBottom"FileName="nazgul_bottom_bar_graphic.tga"></Mapping>
Also you'll need to add a space between Bottom" and FileName:
Quote:
<Mapping ArtAssetID="LetterBoxBottom"FileName="nazgul_bottom_bar_graphic.tga"></Mapping>
should be

Quote:
<Mapping ArtAssetID="LetterBoxBottom" FileName="nazgul_bottom_bar_graphic.tga"></Mapping>
Cheers

Last edited by Supermax : 08-25-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Unread 08-26-2008, 10:24 AM
The Wary

So that's why it wasn't showing up! You're the man Supermax thank you.

I'll keep tinkering away to get a good feel for it and hopefully it won't be to hard to update it once the expansion come out. I'll leave you alone for awhile now, I thought the forums might be dying since there have been very few posts in the past few months. It's good to see I was wrong
Unread 08-26-2008, 01:44 PM
The Undying

Lol no prob

I think the forums have definitely taken a hit but I'm hoping they will return to their glory once MoM is released.

Good modding!