lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Requests (L)

Unread 11-30-2011, 07:50 PM
The Indomitable

CD timer plugin

If anyone has heard of OmniCC for WoW, thats what I would love to see in Lotro.
If you haven't, its a plugin that fires off when you use a skill. Instead of the greyed out skills with a line for the cooldown, you get very large distinct numbers in the entire skill box.

I asked on the lotro forums if it was possible, apparently it would be. With some pretty heavy options needed for the plugin to know what skill/class/deeds/ect were being used for the CD to fire off properly.

I would think though that after an initial set up, it could be pretty quick to update any settings the plugin would need to accuratly place the CD via an options panel where you could enable or disable and traits or something that would lower the CD of a skill. Or manually adding in a reduction in skill CD via set bonus or something.

Is this outside the scope of Lotro and the current API or is this something that someone would be willing to take on?
Unread 12-03-2011, 07:47 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Not outside the scope of what's possible to do but as noted, it would involve some convoluted stuff. Would have to tell the plugin what's bound to what, and clickers would have to setup custom bars. Plugin would have to use various tricks as well to know when skills are fired off for real (and not just activated while grey, lacking a target etc) which might not work for all skills, and of course the plugin would have to be told what's the cooldown of skills, which gets tricky with traits, and abilities that decrease or reset the cooldown of other abilities when used.

Still, doable.
Unread 01-17-2012, 03:20 PM
The Undefeated

I'm no dev/author but maybe these possibly idiotic suggestion could spur this project along....

-Is it possible for you to use combat analysis' combat chat window recognition code and modify it to read a skill going off for real?

-If it's too hard to ellucidate the player's CD times, could you make it class sensitive and, at least at first, simply allow the user to input his/her CD time manually in a setup window for each skill that is allowed to the class the person is on I.E. a hunter has this skill set, in his setup window, he will have every skill a hunter can have with a CD on it that he can input his CD manually such as, 10s for Swift Bow and 2 min for Burn Hot?

-
Unread 01-17-2012, 05:19 PM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraxz
I'm no dev/author but maybe these possibly idiotic suggestion could spur this project along....

-Is it possible for you to use combat analysis' combat chat window recognition code and modify it to read a skill going off for real?

-If it's too hard to ellucidate the player's CD times, could you make it class sensitive and, at least at first, simply allow the user to input his/her CD time manually in a setup window for each skill that is allowed to the class the person is on I.E. a hunter has this skill set, in his setup window, he will have every skill a hunter can have with a CD on it that he can input his CD manually such as, 10s for Swift Bow and 2 min for Burn Hot?

-
There are two issues, the first, which can be overcome with a significant effort, is that many traits and LI legacies affect cooldowns. However, the second issue affects dependability and that is because there's no way of programmatically knowing if a skill is actually fired. Monitoring for morale and power losses helps but is hardly accurate enough to trust in combat. If something like combat analysis is off a tiny bit due to a skill not firing, that won't affect how you play but if a cooldown timer plugin is off it will cause you to miss some potentially important skill. That's enough of a drawback to prevent many authors (myself included) from spending what little free time they have writing a plugin that is guaranteed to eventually give bad results. If Turbine ever grants us access to an event handler that can fire when a skill is actually used, then such a plugin could be reliably made (it would still require a lot of work to handle the traits and legacies issue but at least it would be accurate).
Unread 01-17-2012, 05:35 PM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garan
There are two issues, the first, which can be overcome with a significant effort, is that many traits and LI legacies affect cooldowns. However, the second issue affects dependability and that is because there's no way of programmatically knowing if a skill is actually fired. Monitoring for morale and power losses helps but is hardly accurate enough to trust in combat. If something like combat analysis is off a tiny bit due to a skill not firing, that won't affect how you play but if a cooldown timer plugin is off it will cause you to miss some potentially important skill. That's enough of a drawback to prevent many authors (myself included) from spending what little free time they have writing a plugin that is guaranteed to eventually give bad results. If Turbine ever grants us access to an event handler that can fire when a skill is actually used, then such a plugin could be reliably made (it would still require a lot of work to handle the traits and legacies issue but at least it would be accurate).
Really? I've found that key press + power drop + combat log checking to be ... well, accurate enough that I haven't noticed it missing any skill usage events. And very handy for watching CC effect durations.

I'm pretty much using it the way Gramps is asking for, with two major exceptions:
1) I'm not smart enough to read a number larger than four in a timely manner when reaction speed is important - I suspect trying to read multiple cooldowns at once (or having them available to be read) would cause me to freeze up.
2) I'm just watching a subset of my skills - ones of interest (will typically be used multiple times in combat and are not part of my always visible quickslots) - up to 15 or so at once.

Last edited by moebius92 : 01-17-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Forgot about key press events
Unread 03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
The Undefeated

I am going to bump this to fuel false hopes for getting a headstrong coder to attempt it.
Unread 03-14-2012, 05:14 PM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraxz
I am going to bump this to fuel false hopes for getting a headstrong coder to attempt it.
The next version of LoTRO Alerts will feature a "Delay" field which will allow you to generate an alert a set number of seconds after the combat chat message is generated for any skill that causes a chat message (which is quite a few). Unfortunately I am currently wrestling with the Wallet changes which will be followed by a MoorMap bug fix and an AltInventory update (for wallet changes) so I probably won't get back to LoTRO Alerts for a couple of weeks.