lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > Tutorials & Other Helpful Information (L)

Unread 05-09-2017, 05:20 PM
The Undefeated
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Lotro client crash

Hello

Does anyone know or seen that the client might crash when unloading a plugin. Is there an explaination for it or any hints? I can't find a reason for it and seems random.
Unread 05-09-2017, 10:49 PM
The Undying

Unfortunately yes, I have seen a problem like that in the past. It was very frustrating and tedious to isolate the root cause, because of its intermittent nature and the requirement to unload the plugin to cause the crash. Eventually I determined that it was related to some dynamic resizing of scrollbars I was doing. Although I was never able to figure out the exact nature of the problem, I worked around it.

I think Garan has mentioned other known things that can cause this, but I don't know what they are.
Unread 05-10-2017, 02:02 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurallor
Unfortunately yes, I have seen a problem like that in the past. It was very frustrating and tedious to isolate the root cause, because of its intermittent nature and the requirement to unload the plugin to cause the crash. Eventually I determined that it was related to some dynamic resizing of scrollbars I was doing. Although I was never able to figure out the exact nature of the problem, I worked around it.

I think Garan has mentioned other known things that can cause this, but I don't know what they are.
I think there are issues when using the options panel in the ingame plugin manager, and there can also be issues if several plugins use what is called the same "configuration apartment":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garan
The most common reasons for including a Configuration setting are to allow a plugin to be unloaded without affecting other plugins or to prevent other plugins from interfering with global values and event handlers.
See the Getting Started at https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...gins-for-Noobs
Unread 05-10-2017, 05:40 AM
The Undying

There have been a number of bugs in the underlying API that caused client crashes when unloading. Most of them have been fixed such as the Equipped Items bug and failure to remove registered commands.

I had posted a list of known issues and how to reproduce them in the Current API Issues & Discussion thread but I stopped working on it when Turbine stopped supporting Lua two and a half years ago. I don't recall if any of them were bugs specific to crashes on unload.

I don't use the options panel in the plugin manager as it is incredibly buggy and has been known to cause problems in the past. If you are using it, I would suggest disabling it and seeing if your crashes stop, and if so, simply provide your own window for your options panel. Otherwise, you will likely have to resort to disabling as much functionality as you can and reintroduce it a little at a time until you can isolate the source.

The biggest issue with multiple plugins in the same apartment has to do with stepping on each other's event handlers which doesn't generally cause crashes, just unintended functionality. If you have been loading just your one plugin and still getting client crashes on unload then it is not a problem of a conflict with another plugin sharing an apartment. Having too many private apartments can cause problems as each one eats up a lot of memory and LotRO is notorious for poor memory management so, if possible, don't use a private apartment.

EDIT: I was just browsing the Known Issues thread and saw that passing an invalid parameter to MenuItemList:Add() would destabilize the client and would cause a crash on unload, so there are still a few known issues that crash on exit. You might want to review the entire list to see if any of the issues seem similar to anything you are doing:
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...1-Known-issues

Last edited by Garan : 05-10-2017 at 05:49 AM.
Unread 05-10-2017, 06:49 AM
The Undefeated

Thanks for the info. Actually I was suspecting the plugin managers options panel. Will refactor to a standalone options dialog and see if that fixes it. I don't do anything fancy though so it's hard to isolate it.

The behavior I see is that sometimes, after interacting with the options panel, it seems to crash immediately, during it runs the Plugins[pluginName].Unload function, or slightly after. And it crashes even if there no other plugins loaded, so I don't think it's a name clash.

Reading the known-issues link, gives me an headache. I've ran into some of those bugs and found some on my own. Like events being fired in the wrong order.

Last edited by gillothrin : 05-10-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Nvm gcinfo() and collectgarbage(). Though they were something specific to Lotro.
Unread 05-13-2017, 04:24 PM
The Undefeated

Moving the options from the LOTRO options window to a standalone window stopped the random crashes. Thanks
Unread 11-19-2017, 09:56 PM
The Undying

I wonder if merely removing the options panel in the plugin.Unload() function would be sufficient to prevent some crashes.
Unread 08-28-2018, 02:48 PM
The Wary

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillothrin
Thanks for the info. Actually I was suspecting the plugin managers options panel. Will refactor to a standalone options dialog and see if that fixes it. I don't do anything fancy though so it's hard to isolate it.

The behavior I see while using phenq is that sometimes, after interacting with the options panel, it seems to crash immediately, during it runs the Plugins[pluginName].Unload function, or slightly after. And it crashes even if there no other plugins loaded, so I don't think it's a name clash.

Reading the known-issues link, gives me an headache. I've ran into some of those bugs and found some on my own. Like events being fired in the wrong order.
Buffbars is one of the known culprits for the game crashing. There is a temporary fix on lotrointerface.com

Last edited by Enrique : 09-13-2018 at 09:41 AM.