lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > Lua Programming Help (L)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 11-06-2010, 12:10 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Plugin support for German and French clients

Since there's not yet discussion about this, I thought I'd start one.

So what we have is a nasty bug with how data is serialized when using the internal Turbine.PluginData.Save method. What happens is that with German (and French?) clients the default decimal separator, which is "." (dot), gets converted to "," (comma). This can obviously break the save file badly since it's parsed as a Lua file. We can expect that this will be fixed by Turbine in the future, but plugin authors can react to this quite a bit faster. So, what should we do about it?

1) Each and every plugin author should find their own way to adjust plugins so that they work for all client versions. That is, if they want or bother to (it can be a lot of work).
2) We expect that those using other clients than English will start to use tools such as the fix provided by Vindar.

Personally I'd like to modify mine so that they do work for everyone. But then again does that interfere with the fix? I've also found it problematic to test this since it doesn't appear that anything short of installing a German client is enough to make this bug appear.

-Chiran

Last edited by Chiran : 11-06-2010 at 01:03 PM.