lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Requests (L)

Unread 05-20-2007, 04:34 PM
The Wary

Map co-ordinates via mouse pointed?

One of the annoying things about LOTRO is that the quest descriptions are not often straight forward. I find myself on occasion looking at Allakhazam's website trying to find out exactly where I am supposed to go. When players link map co-ordinates I often find myself pulling out my hair because I don't know where those co-ordinates are. I can guess by looking at places I have discovered and finding the middle point, but it often takes more time than I want.

Has anyone made any mods or working on any that show the co-ordinates of the mouse pointer so you can work out exactly where something is in a matter of second?

I had a search but could not find anything. If someone knows of any please let me know and link to it if you could as well. I would greatly appreciate it.
Unread 05-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member
LOTROInterface Super Mod
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothecary
One of the annoying things about LOTRO is that the quest descriptions are not often straight forward. I find myself on occasion looking at Allakhazam's website trying to find out exactly where I am supposed to go. When players link map co-ordinates I often find myself pulling out my hair because I don't know where those co-ordinates are. I can guess by looking at places I have discovered and finding the middle point, but it often takes more time than I want.

Has anyone made any mods or working on any that show the co-ordinates of the mouse pointer so you can work out exactly where something is in a matter of second?

I had a search but could not find anything. If someone knows of any please let me know and link to it if you could as well. I would greatly appreciate it.
Okay, first, we cannot right now make mods that show locs. I know there is a command for it in game, but I am not sure what it is, I don't use them. Which leads me to the second part, look at your manual, I know there is a command for it ... maybe /loc - really not sure.

Good luck,
Kuv
Unread 05-20-2007, 09:11 PM
The Undying

Typing /loc in the chat box will give a detailed location, and ;loc a nice simple version.
Unread 05-20-2007, 10:21 PM
The Wary

Okay. I am aware of the ;loc function. That is good to work out where you are currently standing. But say I am at 22.3s 36.4w and I want to find the location 45.8s 20.4w I run into trouble. I can work out an approximation of where that might be, but I need to go there and then continue to spam ;loc to make sure I get it right. I wanted to find a mod that would show those co-ordinates on the cursor of the map, much like in World of Warcraft so I knew exactly where I needed to go in seconds literally.

I find it surprising that people aren't lining the forums consistantly complaining about this lack of functionality. I heavily rely on co-ordinates in WoW to communicate locations to people and to find quest locations using sources such as Allakazam. To often do I find a quest like one that says you will find the berries in the Valley behind the house. Well the quest location was in a valley, but wasn't behind the house.

Edit: thesynth posted a weblink to a dynamic website that shows the map, locations and co-ordinates seperately from the game but to the extent that a player should be able to approximate the location fairly easily.

The link to the post is here: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=60055

The link to the dynamic web link is here: http://mehq.net/dynmap/index.php

Cheers,
Apoth

Last edited by Apothecary : 05-20-2007 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Found a related weblink.
Unread 05-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member
LOTROInterface Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothecary
Okay. I am aware of the ;loc function. That is good to work out where you are currently standing. But say I am at 22.3s 36.4w and I want to find the location 45.8s 20.4w I run into trouble. I can work out an approximation of where that might be, but I need to go there and then continue to spam ;loc to make sure I get it right. I wanted to find a mod that would show those co-ordinates on the cursor of the map, much like in World of Warcraft so I knew exactly where I needed to go in seconds literally.

I find it surprising that people aren't lining the forums consistantly complaining about this lack of functionality. I heavily rely on co-ordinates in WoW to communicate locations to people and to find quest locations using sources such as Allakazam. To often do I find a quest like one that says you will find the berries in the Valley behind the house. Well the quest location was in a valley, but wasn't behind the house.

Edit: thesynth posted a weblink to a dynamic website that shows the map, locations and co-ordinates seperately from the game but to the extent that a player should be able to approximate the location fairly easily.

The link to the post is here: http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=60055

The link to the dynamic web link is here: http://mehq.net/dynmap/index.php

Cheers,
Apoth
Yes, I understand that/those. That website, and I did not look posted locs onto thier webpage. It is not dynamic or or in-game function other than the location command They actully used loc to take a coordinate reading at the location to post the information.

This is why I never used locs. Either I am not smart enough or they are just bothersome. Anyway, the idea is, that you run in one direction, check the loc again, and figure out the change in coordinates. After you understand how it changes, then you can move from you present loc to the new 'loc'/coordinates without the annoying checking.

Kuv