lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Requests (L)

Unread 10-12-2010, 09:30 AM
The Unscathed

Cool Ideas For Roleplaying Plugins

Hi all,

I have a couple of ideas for some plugins to enhance roleplaying for those players who enjoy it that I thought I'd throw out there to see if A) Such functionality is possible and B) Possibly get someone with way more talent than I to write such plugins.

First off, is it possible to have a plugin fetch data from an external website for display in-game? I was thinking how useful it would be to have a plugin that would enable a roleplayer (or anyone else, really) to search the LOTRO Wiki at http://lotr.wikia.com and then display the results in-game. This would really be helpful for all those in-game lore questions that invariably rise during roleplay.

Secondly, there are several Tolkien language dictionaries scattered across the internet. If even one of these dictionaries could be made into a searchable plugin, it would greatly enhance roleplaying.

So those are a couple ideas that I had. I'm not sure if they're even possible with the current API, but I thought I'd toss them out there. If they *are* possible, I'd even be willing to help with the plugin in whatever way possible. Anyway, does anyone else have any ideas for roleplaying plugins? Let's get some discussion going!

Emberleaf
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:28 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Send a message via MSN to Digital_Utopia Send a message via Yahoo to Digital_Utopia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emberleaf
Hi all,

I have a couple of ideas for some plugins to enhance roleplaying for those players who enjoy it that I thought I'd throw out there to see if A) Such functionality is possible and B) Possibly get someone with way more talent than I to write such plugins.

First off, is it possible to have a plugin fetch data from an external website for display in-game? I was thinking how useful it would be to have a plugin that would enable a roleplayer (or anyone else, really) to search the LOTRO Wiki at http://lotr.wikia.com and then display the results in-game. This would really be helpful for all those in-game lore questions that invariably rise during roleplay.

Secondly, there are several Tolkien language dictionaries scattered across the internet. If even one of these dictionaries could be made into a searchable plugin, it would greatly enhance roleplaying.

So those are a couple ideas that I had. I'm not sure if they're even possible with the current API, but I thought I'd toss them out there. If they *are* possible, I'd even be willing to help with the plugin in whatever way possible. Anyway, does anyone else have any ideas for roleplaying plugins? Let's get some discussion going!

Emberleaf
Sadly, there's no method to communicate with the web in the API right now, however - even if there were, especially in the case of lotr-wiki, you'd probably still be better off using the in-game web browser. I mean, it's one thing to be able to communicate via the web - and quite another to create a plugin that can render HTML.

As far as the dictionary goes, there's nothing stopping someone from creating an off-line dictionary that a plugin can use to search through/display. But that's going to be about as close you're going to get for now.

Lord of the Rings Online
75 Fourohfour | 75 Artemedis | 60 Whiskeytango Foxtrot | 50 Mistah Boombastic | 56 Appetizer | 25 Aggromi
61 Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts

World of Warcraft
90 Downlo 85 Gravetaxi 85 Ümad 85 Artemedis 85 Guthuros