lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > Lua Programming Help (L)

Unread 11-13-2013, 08:45 PM
The Undefeated

Drop Downs

I've looked at the API and can't seem to find dropdowns.

I've seen plugins that use dropdowns, but it looks like they have created their own.

Has Trubine created any dropdowns that we can use? Or has someone created a free dropdown that others can use in their plugins?

Thanks,

Gimp
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:05 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Turbine has not created any dropdowns. There are a number of dropdowns available. Most authors will grant you permission to use their controls as long as you add a line indicating the original author in your plugin (send the author a PM first if they haven't expressly granted permission), typically where you do the "import". A couple authors have even published their controls specifically for others to use.

You can use the DropDownList.lua file from my plugins, but I would suggest you use one of the more recently published ones, such as TerrainMap since there have been some improvements over time.

Galuhad published his drop down menu, available at:
http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...pDownMenu.html

Digital Utopia also published a library of UI controls including a dropdownlist but since he is no longer playing nor publishing, it may be out of date:
http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...UILibrary.html
Unread 11-15-2013, 01:14 PM
The Undefeated
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Yes unfortunately Turbine offers very few native UI elements, many have to be implemented in Lua with the "low-level" control API.

I was in the same situation (for my plugin BuffIcons), and there is not really any implementation from the community that became standard either. There's almost as many variants as plugins using dropdowns and other "advanced" elements.

I have looked at ones Garan mentioned, aswell as Garan's own code. I did like the clean and simple code from Garan, but they don't aim for a Turbine-like look.
To make it short, I ended up using Pengoros' code (after asking for permission, of course, it is part of BuffBars for example) because it is also very nice and functional, and looks almost identical to the Turbine ones.

I only tweaked a few colors, and replaced the .tga files with the ressource IDs of the client-internal files. Though that doesn't really play well with custom skins I'm afraid, they end up neither unaffected nor fully skinned, but partially skinned :/
Couldn't get any information what's up with that.

For 100% Turbine-like look there are better ones, though I don't really see the point of lots of extra code and images just to recreate the original border that is just barely distinguishable from a solid grey one.
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:07 PM
The Undefeated

Thanks for you input guys. I've ended up just using a scrolling listbox instead. I had the room, and liked the outcome better. But if I need a dropbox in the future, I now know where to get one.

Thanks again!

Gimp