lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > Developer Discussions > XML modification help (L)

Unread 07-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Question XML WYSIWYG Editor?

Does anyone use a good XML WYSIWYG Editor that seems to work well with LOTRO XML? I was hoping to find one that works well and has a preview of your work like Dreamweaver. I am using Notepad++ but I do not have a lot of XML experience per say. I find editors easier to use.

Thanks!

Last edited by joshmiller83 : 07-22-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Thanks! :)
Unread 07-22-2011, 05:09 PM
The Unscathed

Josh

XML doesn't really lend well to true WYSIWYG editors. Since the file is parsed to then configure some aspect of something. Since this is LotRO GUI I assume you want one to edit or create a custom UI for LotRO.

There is a tool on this site for doing that sort of thing that will once you go through the options, I think, create the correct XML and the like for a custom UI.

Is that what you are looking for?

LOTRO Skin Editor: http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...kinEditor.html
Unread 07-22-2011, 05:36 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I use one of the Visual Studio Express packages to edit XML files. It colour codes the text, and allows you to expand/collapse multi-line elements. It will also highlight when there is a error in the XML layout, like a missing closing element.

You can get one of the visual studio express packages from MS here. They are free to use, but you will need to register the product to use it. I use both the C# and C++ versions myself.
Unread 07-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye666
Josh

XML doesn't really lend well to true WYSIWYG editors. Since the file is parsed to then configure some aspect of something. Since this is LotRO GUI I assume you want one to edit or create a custom UI for LotRO.

There is a tool on this site for doing that sort of thing that will once you go through the options, I think, create the correct XML and the like for a custom UI.

Is that what you are looking for?

LOTRO Skin Editor: http://www.lotrointerface.com/downlo...kinEditor.html
Thanks... Yeah I have had that downloaded for quite awhile but not all the panels are usable and in its current form its still incomplete... So I was looking for something else for the time being.
Unread 07-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.H1cks
I use one of the Visual Studio Express packages to edit XML files. It colour codes the text, and allows you to expand/collapse multi-line elements. It will also highlight when there is a error in the XML layout, like a missing closing element.

You can get one of the visual studio express packages from MS here. They are free to use, but you will need to register the product to use it. I use both the C# and C++ versions myself.
Thanks! I had forgotten about those...
Unread 07-23-2011, 12:28 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmiller83
Thanks... Yeah I have had that downloaded for quite awhile but not all the panels are usable and in its current form its still incomplete... So I was looking for something else for the time being.
I thought I should point out that the last SkinDictionary that Turbine posted is quite out of date for some panels. For example, it does not reflect changes to the character and crafting panels that were made with recent updates.

Also, if you have any specific features you would like to see for the editor, please let me know. I am always looking for feedback and ideas.
Unread 08-01-2011, 04:02 AM
The Wary

wysiwyg xml editors

if you are new to xml then notepad might not be as good for you, have you looked at xml editors like oxygen at liquid xml editor, they have validation and intellisense which basically helps you write valid xml, it's also wysiwyg.