lotrointerface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   LoTROInterface > LotRO > General Discussion & Support > Interface Help (L)

Unread 12-11-2012, 11:28 AM
The Wary

MAC CLIENT Compendium Question not installing plugins properly.

Hello,

I hope i am posting this in the right forum. I am currently using the "native" MAC OS X Client (beta) download from Turbine for playing LotRo (which i dowloaded last week and works great). My Computer is running OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion).

I would love to run some plugins and was thrilled to see that you have a Mac version of your LotroInterface Compendium, i downloaded it, installed it no problem. I used your default settings for the "Configuration" Tab where it set the
-Plugin Install Path- to /Users/(me)/Plugins
and it set the
-Plugin Downloads- to /tmp

I used the interface and "added" two plugins. It said everything installed fine, I saw the plugin folders appear where they should be in the /Users/(me)/Plugins but could not find the /tmp folder. I received no errors up to this point.

I then opened up Lotro and got to the Character screen, clicked on "managed plugins" and none of the plugins appear. I logged into a character, and in the chat interface typed /plugins load MinstrelBuffs (just one of the plugins i wanted to use) and it said "Unable to load MinstrelBuffs" I tried it on the other plugin and got the same "unable" message.

At this point I am stuck as to what i need to do to make this work.
1) Did i miss a step somewhere in the middle? If so could you tell me what to do?
2) Is there a different manual way to do it? In mountain lion I installed the Mac client to the "Applications" folder, but when i click on the "Lord of the Rings Online" i cannot see or have access to the individual sub-files through the "Finder" interface on OS X 10.8.2.

Thank you for your time.
Unread 12-11-2012, 12:27 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I have no idea about the macs but if the plugins wont show up on the Turbine plugin manager (in-game) they are most likely missplaced.
Unread 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Since the current Version of Lotro Plugin Compendium predates the native mac lotro game client, it put the plugins in the wrong location. I believe Magill (sp?) posted something about the new locations in comment section of LPC, but I can't verify or test this myself at the moment.
Unread 12-12-2012, 04:28 AM
The Undefeated

in Windows-client dirs Plugins, PluginData, ui, Music and UserPreferences.ini, lotro.keymap files can be removed to install dir of lotro-client.
and it will work fine from root dir of lotro-client

try to do this in Mac-client, maybe it will work

Last edited by Pulse : 12-12-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Unread 12-12-2012, 01:33 PM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyrater
I hope i am posting this in the right forum. I am currently using the "native" MAC OS X Client (beta) download from Turbine for playing LotRo (which i dowloaded last week and works great). My Computer is running OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion).

I would love to run some plugins and was thrilled to see that you have a Mac version of your LotroInterface Compendium, i downloaded it, installed it no problem. I used your default settings for the "Configuration" Tab where it set the
-Plugin Install Path- to /Users/(me)/Plugins
and it set the
-Plugin Downloads- to /tmp

I used the interface and "added" two plugins. It said everything installed fine, I saw the plugin folders appear where they should be in the /Users/(me)/Plugins but could not find the /tmp folder. I received no errors up to this point.

I then opened up Lotro and got to the Character screen, clicked on "managed plugins" and none of the plugins appear. I logged into a character, and in the chat interface typed /plugins load MinstrelBuffs (just one of the plugins i wanted to use) and it said "Unable to load MinstrelBuffs" I tried it on the other plugin and got the same "unable" message.

At this point I am stuck as to what i need to do to make this work.
1) Did i miss a step somewhere in the middle? If so could you tell me what to do?
2) Is there a different manual way to do it? In mountain lion I installed the Mac client to the "Applications" folder, but when i click on the "Lord of the Rings Online" i cannot see or have access to the individual sub-files through the "Finder" interface on OS X 10.8.2.
Lots to say... The Mac Client has some "quirks" because of "The Apple way."

I wrote up a bunch of information at LOTRO-wiki.com http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client
See especially the section http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_...ile_locations:
Immediately followed by comments on Lua Plugins.

The "immediate" issue is WHERE to put the various files, including the Plugins folder.
In Mountain Lion the <user>/Library file is a hidden file to the Finder. (A change Apple made with Lion.) Use to "GO" drop-down to get there.

Install path will look like:
.... /Users/(you)/Library/Application Support/com.turbine.lotroclient/Plugins
For downloads, I use:

... /Users/(you)/Downloads/LOTRO/plugins-downloaded
Simply to make the easy to find and either keep or trash.

All of that said, now the "gochas."
The Mac Client, like the Windows Client, still suffers from Memory Leak(s). These manifest themselves "quickly" in Rohan, Instances, and Session Plays. In most of Middle Earth other than Rohan, it can take a couple of hours for the Mac Client to Freeze. At which time, the client will show as "Client not responding" to "Force Quit."

One of the contributors to this "freeze" are Plugins. Turbine has posted instructions to NOT USE PLUGINS if you are reporting any client crash!

Watch the "MAC Technical Support" Forum at forums.lotro.com -- it's down at the bottom of the list, for updates. We try to keep folks posted on happenings with the Mac CLient.

One last comment. The Mac Client is built the "Apple Way." Consequently, EVERYTHING is in a single ".app" "Package." To see its contents in the Finder,
Select "The Lord of the Rings Online.app" file in your applications directory and right click. Select the second item: "Show Package Contents." This will expose the contents of the LAUNCHER "package". Inside that package under Resources, you will find another "The Lord of the Rings Online.app" file.
Right click on that package and again, under Resources, you will find all of the graphics ".dat" files found in the Windows client.
Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (118)
Valanne - Beorning (105)
Valhad - Elf LM (65)
Valkeeper - Elf RK (85)
Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (68)
Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
All about the fun!"

Unread 12-12-2012, 01:36 PM
The Undying

Java and Mountain Lion

One thing which you have probably already encountered ... Apple updated (removed) Java 6 and replaced it with Java 7.

When you first launch LPC, it will tell you it needs Java 6 and allow you to download it. Go ahead, it only takes a minute or two.
Valanne - Beorning (105)
Valhad - Elf LM (65)
Valkeeper - Elf RK (85)
Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Unread 12-13-2012, 10:31 AM
The Wary

Thank you Magill

Responding to Magill:

Wow, I thank you for taking the time to respond with a lot of information. And I finally found the ~/Library/Application Support/com.turbine.lotroclient/ folder.

I am certainly not the most computer savvy, but once i found the folder, I was able through trial and error to figure out where to put a plugin manually that would actually show up in the Lotro "Manage Plugins" section and actually work.
I had to create a Plugins folder in the above stated directory (so i created ~/Library/Application Support/com.turbine.lotroclient/Plugins), place the unzipped plugin in it and then it worked!

Thank you,

That being said, when i put that directory into the "Configure" tab of the Lotro Compendium Client to see if i could set it up that way and have the compendium work, it simply created a bunch of folders in the compendiums folder (/plugincompendium-1.1/mac/) starting with a /~, then inside that a folder called /~/l, another called /~/li, another called /~lib etc...

I assume this is my fault for not knowing the exact address for the /~/Library address. Like i said I am not the most computer savvy.

I do appreciate all of your responses and I can at least now have a couple of plugins i can use and install manually.

I also appreciate your warning for using plugins and the situation with Mac client "freezing" I will be wary and maybe attempt to not grow reliant on said plugins. I just wanted to check them out because i am new to the game, I will check those forums you mentioned on a regular basis as well.

Thanks again!

Edit: I see, you told me the address for the compendium and i passed right over it its the /Users/(me)/Library/...etc...

Last edited by Opyrater : 12-13-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: unclear
Unread 12-14-2012, 10:52 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyrater

That being said, when i put that directory into the "Configure" tab of the Lotro Compendium Client to see if i could set it up that way and have the compendium work, it simply created a bunch of folders in the compendiums folder (/plugincompendium-1.1/mac/) starting with a /~, then inside that a folder called /~/l, another called /~/li, another called /~lib etc...

I assume this is my fault for not knowing the exact address for the /~/Library address. Like i said I am not the most computer savvy.
Yes and no.... This was, and apparently still is, a bug in LPC. I thought Lunarwter had fixed that particular one some time ago, but I guess not.
Valanne - Beorning (105)
Valhad - Elf LM (65)
Valkeeper - Elf RK (85)
Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"

Last edited by magill : 12-14-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:52 PM
The Wary

Mac players can use a memory clean to recover leaks WHILE playing

"All of that said, now the "gochas."
The Mac Client, like the Windows Client, still suffers from Memory Leak(s). These manifest themselves "quickly" in Rohan, Instances, and Session Plays. In most of Middle Earth other than Rohan, it can take a couple of hours for the Mac Client to Freeze. At which time, the client will show as "Client not responding" to "Force Quit."

Get a memory cleaner app. My wife and I use Clean Memory which has a menubar icon which shows how much free memory is available. It is free on the Mac App Store. She plays WoW. I used to but have started playing LOTRO. We are both long time corporate & individual programmers. When we see memory running low while playing, we click the menubar icon and then click the Clean Memory button. You don't have to exit the game just find a quiet safe area to wait while it does its work. It usually restores over a gig or more of memory. We now almost never have to reboot our Macs. If you don't like this one, try another one. There are many available.

These programs work by seeking out "inactive" memory and returning it to the free memory pool. In games like LOTRO and WoW these are all those little bits of graphics just sitting idle from some area you long ago left and may never return.

ONE CAVEAT: Don't try to clean memory twice in a row thinking you will squeeze out some more lost bits. It may "over clean". If you don't get the desired results, exit the game and then clean again to recover the leaked memory.

Last edited by Bilton : 12-18-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Unread 12-19-2012, 09:41 AM
The Undying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilton
"All of that said, now the "gochas."

Get a memory cleaner app. My wife and I use Clean Memory which has a menubar icon which shows how much free memory is available. It is free on the Mac App Store. She plays WoW. I used to but have started playing LOTRO. We are both long time corporate & individual programmers. When we see memory running low while playing, we click the menubar icon and then click the Clean Memory button. You don't have to exit the game just find a quiet safe area to wait while it does its work. It usually restores over a gig or more of memory. We now almost never have to reboot our Macs. If you don't like this one, try another one. There are many available.

These programs work by seeking out "inactive" memory and returning it to the free memory pool. In games like LOTRO and WoW these are all those little bits of graphics just sitting idle from some area you long ago left and may never return.

ONE CAVEAT: Don't try to clean memory twice in a row thinking you will squeeze out some more lost bits. It may "over clean". If you don't get the desired results, exit the game and then clean again to recover the leaked memory.
I'm now retired after 30+ years as a Unix System Administrator at a major Ivy League University with a major Computer Science department. The user community has a radical lack of knowledge about "Memory Management" in today's modern operating systems (yes, including all versions of Windows) and Memory Management within a program itself. The difference is, if you will, between Systems Programming and Application Programming. While Systems Programmers can make good Application Programmers; an Application Programmer is totally lost when confronted with System Programming situations. I've interviewed them both; and it can take several years before a GOOD Applications Programmer becomes a "competent" Systems programmer. They may both write "C" code, but the technologies, theories, and techniques used are completely different.

Memory cleaners are a con-job. The "Free memory" is the same number you can get directly from Apple's Activity Monitor in Utilities. It refers to Physical RAM not being used by the OS or allocated to individual programs. Their primary purpose is to convince you to buy more physical RAM -- but if you already have 8GB that accomplishes nothing but to put dollars in someone else's pocket.

Memory Cleaners simply don't work the way in which people think they work. Nor do they have any impact on the particulars of any specific program. All they do is "speed up" the OS's normal memory deallocation process. While this may be useful when you are" running" say 8 programs simultaneously, 7 of which are sitting there in the background doing nothing but taking up memory, they do nothing for the 8th and the active program.

The memory leak in LOTRO (in both the Mac Client and the Windows Client) has to do with the simple fact that the LOTRO PROGRAM is a 32 bit program which is trying to address more than about 3.7GB of memory. (A 32bit program can only address a maximum of 4GB, period. It's a mathematical limitation.) It doesn't matter if the Client is running on a 32bit OS like XP or a 64bit OS like OSX. Nor does it matter if the client is running on a Mac with 4GB of memory or 8GB of memory.

I don't run Windows, but with the LOTRO Mac Client, neither the Client nor OSX normally "crash" because of the "Memory Leak." Rather, the Client "freezes" because it is attempting to address more than it's allocated 4GB of memory and the OS is preventing it. At this point OSX keeps hammering at the Client until it finally quits. It takes 20-60 minutes, but the LOTRO Client will finally terminate leaving OSX still running unphased. Because it takes so long, most people opt for the "fast way out" and reboot.
But when you look at the "Crash dump" induced at termination, you discover that lo and behold, the Client is attempting to address beyond 3.7GB (the max for a 32 bit program under OSX.) The specific cause is always the same -- a page fault (address exception.)

The other thing which will recover unused memory -- quit all of those other programs you have running in the background -- OSX has enough such threads of its own.

BTW "Clean Memory" is $.99 in the App Store, not free. "Memory Clean" is a free one.
Valanne - Beorning (105)
Valhad - Elf LM (65)
Valkeeper - Elf RK (85)
Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Ninth - Man Warden (65)

All about the fun!"