View Single Post
Unread 01-24-2012, 07:27 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Send a message via MSN to Digital_Utopia Send a message via Yahoo to Digital_Utopia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brygard2007
It can be due that hackers or crackers or what ever they are,they tend to include virus and trojans in rar format then zip.

Currently it might not be related to this site but right now hackers are really pissed of at the USA cause couple days ago Megaupload has been shut down by the supreme court.

And currently their attacking websites and MMOUI is common grounds to attack,it has been attack before.

I think thier just taking precoutions.
Hackers use it for the same reason most other people that have a reason to compress/package files do - it's simply less prone to corruption than zip is. Yes, you can avoid such corruption with zip files, but it requires a bit more thought on server configuration, and where you store it. If a site, for instance, has gzip compression active, that can seriously mess up a zip file, while a rar file would be perfectly fine. This is basically why Turbine switched from originally packaging the Lua Docs/examples in zip, to 7z format, because the gzip compression on their webserver completely hosed the files. The other reason, specifically why they chose 7z, is that it's an open source compression format, and rar is proprietary.

That being said, although I'm probably just speaking from bad experiences from years ago, that it would be nice if MMOUI supported a more robust format - whether that be 7zip, or even good ol' fashioned tar balls. Even still, I would imagine that since they are the ones forcing this change, that they'd be more than prepared to set things up appropriately.

Lord of the Rings Online
75 Fourohfour | 75 Artemedis | 60 Whiskeytango Foxtrot | 50 Mistah Boombastic | 56 Appetizer | 25 Aggromi
61 Onepointtwentyone Gigawatts

World of Warcraft
90 Downlo 85 Gravetaxi 85 Ümad 85 Artemedis 85 Guthuros