View Single Post
Unread 05-12-2012, 04:28 PM
The Wary

Lotro Dat files - mesh data

I have been working off and on with the dat files in LOTRO for some time. I started by working to extract all the strings from the language file which has quest dialog, NPC names etc...

Later I became interested in the map data and specifically the game mesh. I have actually had success in extracting and rendering the game mesh offline using initially some crude code, later using XNA and eventually an open source game engine. The current state of what I have does not use the actual game textures to render the world, but uses some basic textures in order to get something working for a proof of concept. I am in the process of working out proper scaling in order to have the rendered world closely match the in game look as seen from a character located in a known region / location. I chose Evendim because the terrain was easy to identify.

It sounds like you have had success in extracting texture data. If the two pieces could be combined, the game world should be fully renderable offline.

If you are perhaps interested in collaborating on such an effort, let me know...

Cheers,

Creo