View Single Post
Unread 04-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Tools and UI Engineer
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

A Formal Introduction

Hey Everone, I'm Frosty and I've been working at Turbine for over six years now.

I'm "the guy" that came up with and implemented the skinning technology that
our engine uses.

My day job is the Tools Technical Lead for the game engine team overseeing our content pipeline all the way from the modeling software through our world building tools and into the packed .dat files your client uses. I'm one of about a dozen engineers that work on the "Turbine Engine" that is used internally for our different games.

Last year, I took a sabatical from my normal job and helped program the UI for LOTRO. I worked with a different dozen or so game systems engineers who are responsible for crafting the game on top of the Turbine engine.

Some of the questions I have the capacity to investigate or answer are:
- Can we get more IDs defined for our skins? (Yes, looking into it.)
- Why doesn't skinning work? (We all remember this one from closed beta - my bad.)
- Why did you choose such a weird XML format? (I'm an XML newb and this was easy.)
- What's your favorite vegetable? (Probably ketchup.)
- What was that hint you dropped about new skinning features being available in the month 1 patch? (What hint? I don't remember saying anything about that...)

Some of the questions I really don't know about:
- What are the sizes and alpha-ness of all the artwork?
- Blah blah blah artistic question blah click buzz?
- If a train leaves Chicago at 8am travelling 60mph and a girl is on the train and wants to buy 15 apples at 35 cents each, what time will the train reach Detroit if all the apples are Macintosh and not Granny Smiths?

-P

p.s. and the first initial is "P", not a one-eyed-tongue-sticking-out cyclops.