View Single Post
Unread 09-20-2010, 06:57 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Send a message via MSN to Digital_Utopia Send a message via Yahoo to Digital_Utopia
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimon
Actually I think it would be great idea to make such a plugin.
The original one bag isn't something I would use, mainly because of the scrollbar - I want to see all my stuff at once .. and not particularly in a one huge pile..

A plugin that would arrange bag slots like that 5x15 columns (and perhaps optional 5x15 rows and 8x9(+2) square that you could choose from the options instead) would be awesome.

Rushl modification is great (my respect to that great mod), but it has a few disadvantages that the plugin version could solve, like the one described above.

Also plugin version would be a lot easier to move around as a skin mod you have 5 different bags to move around (and to be honest the moving isn't very user friendly). + it would make it more easier for skin authors to have this function optional if it's a separate plugin as they wouldn't have to make the choice of including or not including it to their skins, a user could make that decision.

So combination of rushl minipacks and The OneBag would be a very welcome plugin in my opinion.
Provided of course, that at some point Turbine lets one "mod" hand talk to the other. Another alternative however, is for plugin authors themselves to provide skinning support to their plugins - something that should be pretty possible - thanks to the plugindata files.

All plugindata files are essentially lua scripts that consist of a table with all the necessary settings. So, two of these could be used in combination in order to create something similar to the existing skinning system.

Step 1. Have a plugindata file named "Skin", that consists of all additional skin names for that plugin (i.e.)

Code:
return
{
     ["SkinNames"] =
     {
          [1]="mySkin"
          [2]="otherSkin"
     }
}
Step 2, have a plugindata file named for each skin (i.e. with the example in mind: mySkin.pluginData and otherSkin.pluginData). Each of these would have the necessary size and position information of all elements, and relative paths to the images.

Step 3. Provide code within the plugin to handle parsing the skin settings, and have the code handle the positioning/resizing/images of that new skin.

I'm going to be working on implementing such a thing for adding custom bar shapes/sizes to Palantir - but it could work equally as well for those authors that want to provide skinning support to their plugins.