View Single Post
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:52 PM
The Wary

Mac players can use a memory clean to recover leaks WHILE playing

"All of that said, now the "gochas."
The Mac Client, like the Windows Client, still suffers from Memory Leak(s). These manifest themselves "quickly" in Rohan, Instances, and Session Plays. In most of Middle Earth other than Rohan, it can take a couple of hours for the Mac Client to Freeze. At which time, the client will show as "Client not responding" to "Force Quit."

Get a memory cleaner app. My wife and I use Clean Memory which has a menubar icon which shows how much free memory is available. It is free on the Mac App Store. She plays WoW. I used to but have started playing LOTRO. We are both long time corporate & individual programmers. When we see memory running low while playing, we click the menubar icon and then click the Clean Memory button. You don't have to exit the game just find a quiet safe area to wait while it does its work. It usually restores over a gig or more of memory. We now almost never have to reboot our Macs. If you don't like this one, try another one. There are many available.

These programs work by seeking out "inactive" memory and returning it to the free memory pool. In games like LOTRO and WoW these are all those little bits of graphics just sitting idle from some area you long ago left and may never return.

ONE CAVEAT: Don't try to clean memory twice in a row thinking you will squeeze out some more lost bits. It may "over clean". If you don't get the desired results, exit the game and then clean again to recover the leaked memory.

Last edited by Bilton : 12-18-2012 at 06:56 PM.