Thread: CD timer plugin
View Single Post
Unread 01-17-2012, 05:35 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garan
There are two issues, the first, which can be overcome with a significant effort, is that many traits and LI legacies affect cooldowns. However, the second issue affects dependability and that is because there's no way of programmatically knowing if a skill is actually fired. Monitoring for morale and power losses helps but is hardly accurate enough to trust in combat. If something like combat analysis is off a tiny bit due to a skill not firing, that won't affect how you play but if a cooldown timer plugin is off it will cause you to miss some potentially important skill. That's enough of a drawback to prevent many authors (myself included) from spending what little free time they have writing a plugin that is guaranteed to eventually give bad results. If Turbine ever grants us access to an event handler that can fire when a skill is actually used, then such a plugin could be reliably made (it would still require a lot of work to handle the traits and legacies issue but at least it would be accurate).
Really? I've found that key press + power drop + combat log checking to be ... well, accurate enough that I haven't noticed it missing any skill usage events. And very handy for watching CC effect durations.

I'm pretty much using it the way Gramps is asking for, with two major exceptions:
1) I'm not smart enough to read a number larger than four in a timely manner when reaction speed is important - I suspect trying to read multiple cooldowns at once (or having them available to be read) would cause me to freeze up.
2) I'm just watching a subset of my skills - ones of interest (will typically be used multiple times in combat and are not part of my always visible quickslots) - up to 15 or so at once.

Last edited by moebius92 : 01-17-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Forgot about key press events