View Single Post
Unread 12-01-2012, 10:44 PM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I've done quite a bit of chat log parsing work for my KillTracker plugin. Certainly what you have highlighted in the log below could be parsed out and written to a file in a format that could be imported into Excel easily enough. Of course, there are potential flaws in tying the kill message to the loot message, especially if you're in a busy area, potentially with multiple enemies dying in a short period of time, killed by multiple players, or pets, soldiers, traps/devices or even NPCs. But, leaving the kill messages out of it, and assuming you always loot all, you could probably reliably tie the loot to the enemy.

A plugin could even keep the sums and calculate the % stats you have, rather than log every time you loot a corpse, which would be much more efficient - the data could even be displayed in-game, cutting Excel out altogether. The biggest hole I see in what you have below vs. what can be done automatically via the chat log is the lack of mob "Type & Kind" & "Lvls/Morale/Power" - as far as I know, nothing in the chat log or LUA API allows us to get this information programatically...it would have to be entered manually.

I think your idea is a good one, and frankly a good supplement to what my KillTracker does today, but, as you can see in my comments in the KillTracker page, the state of the game and API at the moment would make it quite cumbersome and unreliable to achieve a rather poor result. This makes it, for me at least, not worth the effort.

If my plugin code would be of help to anyone wishing to work on this project, by all means feel free to use it.