View Single Post
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM
The Undying
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Some of us are just venting, to be sure...hijacking your thread to an extent to make a point. If we didn't like the game, we obviously wouldn't be here either. Completely agree with your barking cat metaphor. Apart from the API, I'm actually perfectly willing to accept the game for what it is, and isn't, feature-wise, knowing that Turbine will continue to slowly evolve and expand it, both in terms of pure content and minor features/capabilities. You'll never hear me whining about this or that missing game feature...like you said, it is what it is.

I do see the plugin/API platform a bit differently though - this is Turbine's opportunity to engage the community, to invest them in the game more deeply, and allow us to improve the game and ecosystem ourselves. True, the LotRO community hasn't put out resources like the site you point to for WoW, but how much of that is because many of those that could do such a thing aren't willing to invest that kind of time and effort without a more powerful/stable/supported API/data platform?

Why put in the effort if your ability to leverage it is minimal? Ask 20 plugin devs about their plugins and you'll hear more about what they wanted to do with their plugins but couldn't (or couldn't do right, or had to hack a solution for and then have to fix after every other game update), than what they did do. You're an example of someone who tried and is now moving on, at least partly because of frustrations with these limitations. How many other capable people that play or have played this game never even tried, for these reasons? I'm one. I think the community is out there, willing to engage more deeply...it's just the chicken-before-the-egg problem....

Even the lack of response to Dwamur's call-to-arms, though I think it deserves its own thread here and on the official forums, doesn't mean much. I'm not sure how many people that would be interested are even still watching. I only happened across this thread while looking for plugin updates. I could and would participate in such an effort, but until I hear about major upgrades to the API, I'm just not paying much attention. Chicken/egg.